LT230 Transfer Box

yes, it will fit. Your original t-box (LT230T) has a drive reduction on the high range at 1.410. The disco t-box has a drive reduction ratio at 1.222 (LT230Q).

As you have mentioned you have a 200Tdi, you might not have enuff power to pull away quickly without slipping the clutch often, leading to rapid wearing of the clutch plate. Worse still you might not even pull away uphill with a full loaded vehicle. Yes you can do some tweaks, but you'll be happier with a LT230T box for a 200Tdi.

Alternatively, you can buy the box and do a conversion to the 1.410 ratio.

Not sure if the disco 99 uses an electronic speedo drive cable. if it does, you can either convert your speedo to the electronic type (Td5) or change the t-box to the mechinical type without too much fuss.

correct me if i'm wrong, but T stands for torque and Q stands for quiet.

I run a Borg Warner transfer box with a 1.2 high ratio behind a 300Tdi (same power / torque as a 200Tdi) in a 110 without any problem. A lot of my mileage is around the Peak District, with frequent up hill starts. The 110 is regularly used for towing (often up to 3500kg) and the raised gearing gives no cause for concern. Any serious problems, I just use low ratio to get moving.

Unless you live in an area where you seldom manage to grab 5th gear, I'd go with the higher gearing (low remains as before).

did the 2.5 na's and TD's have a 1.6 ratio transferbox?

Some early 110s had the 1.6 box IIRC.

The 1.222 box should be OK behind the 200Tdi, particularly if the vehicle is running 31" (235/85 or 7.50) tyres rather than larger 33" or bigger rubber. If you had big tyres and a trailer on then the 1.222 box would seem rather too high IMHO. ...though I am considering it for the 110...

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
correct me if i'm wrong, but T stands for torque and Q stands for quiet.

I'd heard (whether correct or no) that the "T" was for Timken and the "R" (some boxes were LT230R) is Roller, depending on what type of bearings were fitted.

I've also heard that, but it is possibly an after-the-fact idea someone had. Wasn't there also an S box? Super? Slippery? Solid?

Rather like some computer software I once used called 'Roscoe'. It was said that it stood for 'Remote OS Conversational Environment', but the reality was it was named after the writers' dog :D