Discovery Viscous Coupling??

rhydgte

Hi have had a search about and couldn't find much, just wondering if the problem I'm currently having with my disco is down to this 'viscous coupling'?

Basically when maneuvering at low speeds in reverse and forwards at full lock it's as if I'm applying the brakes/something holding it back...

Also I have a horrific grinding/metal on metal sound coming from under the front seat area/ drivers side when steering to the right (I've put this down to a knackered CV Joint at the moment and have ordered a replacement)

If the VC has seen better days are they easy to replace?

Just after some opinions on this - many thanks

Sounds like its stuck in diff lock :unsure:

Possibly - The diff lock switch is faulty (tested it once removed) and the switch had been disconnected by previous owner :blink: hence I have no light on the dash...

Have driven it approx 300miles without it going bang though, and the noise only started this week on my way home from off roading but the problem with going forwards on back at full lock has been there since I bought it couple of months ago..

Does your transfer box lever move only backwards & forwards to select H-N-L or does it move sideways to engage difflock? (looks like a figure 8 on the knob)

If it moves sideways to engage difflock then you don't have a viscous coupling.

I know the vc is used in the RR Classic & the RR P38 with the Borg Warner transfer box & the Freelander has its own, but I thought the Discos all used the LT230 variant transfer box which doesn't have a vc.

Does your transfer box lever move only backwards & forwards to select H-N-L or does it move sideways to engage difflock? (looks like a figure 8 on the knob)

If it moves sideways to engage difflock then you don't have a viscous coupling.

I know the vc is used in the RR Classic & the RR P38 & the Freelander has its own, but was it ever used in standard boxes in the Disco?

Ahh right so it doesn't have a VC! Yes it has manual diff lock lever - I've done a fair bit of off roading over the years but never had these issue's before!

The lever works fine, high -> low is a bit stiff but sitting in neutral play the clutch and blip the throttle a bit and it drops in after a couple of shoves, also shifts over to the left (diff lock on) and stays there - until I pull it back to the right once done with it..

Nah you can just pull the centre diff out and re-build it, bit of a pain to do but can be done on your back on the drive if you need to...........

Ok mate cheers, what about all the grinding noises - surely something may well be broken!?

Yep, hence needing to pull the centre diff out and replace it - IF it's that thats broken it may have chomped a CV joint as they hate being stuck in difflock as well - difficult to say really - you need to get the switch fixed and get it out of diff-lock for 100% certain first then go from there......

If the centre diff is stuffed you may be able to turn the wheel by hand, but it will drive off the jack if you try to do so. On the other hand maybe it won't if the diff is completely broken. The diff sometimes sort of half fails with strange results.

I'll second that - the centre diff blew itself up on my Stage One at one point and the symptoms would come and go - then when I finally stripped it I found out why - a massive chunk of one of the planet gears was roaming about getting stuck in a hole in the diff case every now and then giving me drive back then it would move and I'd loose drive again - it drove me mad until I finally found out what it was!

Update..

Have done the 'diff lock check' (by jacking one wheel off the floor and seeing if it'll turn) and on the rear axle the wheel turns with diff lock off and doesnt turn with diff lock on (as it should be?!) However on the front axle the wheel is solid either way, so from this I pressume something is broken somewhere?

Any ideas?

Many thanks once again

P.S I have tried both front wheels (one at a time) and they're both the same...