crankcase breather on 300tdi air con/wolf

pete3000

I have a 300tdi wolf (walt) replica. I also have a full radio fit complete with 24v wolf alternator sitting in air con pump slot on engine.

I recently fitted some replacement extended breathers for the front and rear axle and am about to finish the gearbox and crankcase braethers off. The problem I have is the timing cover breather adaptor, supplied in most of these kits, bolts onto the three bolts using the blanking plate where you access the injection pump cover.

My problem is that my idler/tensioner for the air con/wolf alternator uses this already. :huh:

Any ideas where I can fit a breather without removing and drilling the crankcase cover please?

TIA

Pete

is there not a drain hole already in the bottom of the timing chest threaded to take a wading plug?

Yes there is. However when you fit the wading plug it is a good idea to have a breather installed as dipping the hot engine into cold water can cause rapid cooling and cause water/mud to be pulled in through the dust seal on the crank. This is obviously not a good idea.

Mmmm, difficult one - the way this is overcome on the 'real' WOLF is that the wading plug hole is not used - its cast into the timing chest, but not drilled out, there is then a pipe attached to the top of the chest that is actually fed from the same pipe that sends boost to the FIP fuel stop pin - this provides a slight positive pressure in the timing chest (I say slight as the banjo bolt supplying the pressure to the chest is filled with a sintered brass insert which acts as a restrictor allowing only a tiny portion of the boost pressure into the timing chest.)

From looking at mine - which has a normal 12V alt in the same place as yours using the same belt configuration, I'd say that raceface120 is spot on in that the easiest way of doing it is to mount some form of adapter in the adjuster, possibly utilising the square drive hole used for adjusting the belt tesnion - its how I would do it, using some quick release air couplings we have lying about at work that are the same size as the pipe in question, though I have to admit to not having looked at this one yet as its way down on my list!

I'd be interested in seeing how you've done yours raceface120 - and I take it from your log-in your a mountian biker?

I'll take a photo this evening!

I used to to a lot of cycling (and have some Raceface components) don't seem to find the time any more.

Same here fella - not been out on mine in months - which is a shame as I really love it! - Still, summer leave is coming up so I'll be hitting the trails then big style!

Right as promised a photo of what i did to fit the breather for the timing cover. Mine is a 300TDI discovery by the way. also the tensioner doesn't do anything at the moment as I have removed the Aircon and not got round to fitting the onboard air.

Boostpipeandbreather002.jpg

Ta muchly Raceface the photo helped a lot. I have a 1/4 bsp-6mm pipe elbow on standby. will get drilling at the weekend.

I tried the original breather pipes into 6mm pneumatic tees. The pipe is slightly oversize an doesn't fit. I just replaced the pipe along the chassis to front and rear axles with 6mm pneumatic polyproplene tubing.

the gearbox/engine and tranfer gearbox I used some battery breather tubing pushed over the originals to splice the 6mm tube into the tee's.

Pete