110 and tachograph's

bmhor

Due to a change in job direction I now have the occasional need to tow trailers which require the fitting of a tacho to my 110 CSW.

At the moment it does not need to be calibrated as I want to use it to record driving hours but I want to be able to get it calibrated in the future,

hence this post.

Has anyone fitted a tacho to a 110 and if so what is required for the job (apart from the tacho head!) and does anyone know of a second hand 12v kit?

Sorry if this in the wrong place.

Bob

if the tacho is a legal requirement you cannot fit it, this must be done at an approved installer, calibrated and sealed, the old style tacho is no longer fitted to lorries or buses, the new style uses a card the size of a credit card which is personal to you. discs are only used in older vehicles

if there is a legal requirement for it to be fitted i would suggest it needs to be fully compliant and used.

Be carefull, the fine is enormous and, if misuse is proven over a long period lorry drivers have had custodial sentences, best plan would be to phone your nearest HGV test centre and get good free advice

If your NOT using the 110 to tow trailers for hire/reward in connection with a business, [i.e.no payment is changing hands] IIRC there's no need for a tachgraph.

but if one is ftted it must be fully functional & calibrated b a authorised installer/service agent.

this might help http://www.dft.gov.uk/press/releases/press...fdigitaltac5813

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/lorr...oroperators.htm

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Ralph, as I am not fortunate enough to own that new a vehicle, I can use an "analogue" tacho (round paper disc one)

As I mentioned in my question, this is due to a change in occupation so there MAY be money involved hence the request.

Having spent a long time investigation the legal situation, I've been informed by VOSA, that providing I continue in the same line of work I do not require a tacho BUT I must comply with driving hours regulations and as I'm very bad at remembering to write things down a tacho is the answer if I can find a 2nd hand kit that I can install myself. As it will not be used for speed recording the calibration is irrelevant at the moment.

Bob

I do not require a tacho BUT I must comply with driving hours regulations and as I'm very bad at remembering to write things down a tacho is the answer

I would have thought that a tacho was exactly what you didn't need. If there is a tacho fitted and you accidentally go over the working hours, they would have a stick (albeit round and made of paper) to beat you with. I would have thought that a little note to yourself saying what time you started and take breaks would jog the memory perfectly. If you then decided to write that into a little book at the end of the day, so that you could show the nice VOSA man if he asked, I guess that it would show a certain regard to the rules. If you don't need to go to the expence and possible trouble that a tacho would bring, don't do it.

That said, all the best with the new venture - I hope that it goes well.

Tacho's, drivers hours and the whole situation is an absolute minefield.

A couple of years ago one of my lads was driving a transit and towing a trailer. He got stopped on the M6 Nr Coventry by a traffic cop. We both ended up in Nuneaton Magistrates Court for not having a tacho fitted in a goods vehicle. Day off work for both of us and a trip from Wolverhampton to Nuneaton to find at 1pm they decided to drop the charges, the copper didnt turn up.

Driving is not his main activity, he is an arborist and was on his way to a job and therefore drivers hours are not the same as someone who drives as his main activity.

We now have tacho's fitted but only need to use them over a specific distance and only when towing a trailer (not inc HGV).

Its a nightmare trying to stay legal but, if you drive a transit tipper with high sides, barns doors, tow bar, wear a hi-viz vest and park your caravan on someone else's land then you become exempt from VOSA and several other bits of legislation.

It all depends on what occupation you will be pursueing with your 110 and trailer ,

We run a 90 towing a 3.5 t trailer with a 2.5 ton digger on it , We are connected with the utilities industry , Water and gas are our main line of work , therefore are exempt from EU drivers hours and tacho laws , But we are subject to British domestic rules which means the use of the old style paper log books ,But only need to make records if the driver is driving for more than four hours a day which is very unlikely in our situation .

To make it easier to explain to an over enthusiastic police officer ,all our vehicles have stickers fitted in the cab explaining the reasons why we dont need tachos .

Its a nightmare trying to stay legal but, if you drive a transit tipper with high sides, barns doors, tow bar, wear a hi-viz vest and park your caravan on someone else's land then you become exempt from VOSA and several other bits of legislation.

So where is your caravan parked now then Bob :ph34r::ph34r::lol:

To make it easier to explain to an over enthusiastic police officer ,all our vehicles have stickers fitted in the cab explaining the reasons why we dont need tachos .

Arrh, once bitten twice shy, we do the same, If you come across a copper or VOSA inspector that will listen to reason your in with half a chance.

Managed to squeeze in just behind yours Jase ;) want yer drive tarmacin. Aye, there only into block paving as well now.