Alternative to Snow Chains?

Gary

Think I'd stick with chains though I'm hardly qualified to comment as I've not seen so much as a snowflake this winter :(

These would be lighter to carry but from what I recall of snow chains when I have used them in earnest the chains will shed snow easier making it easier to dig through the deep stuff while on packed snow or ice the chains tend to act like studs with small high pressure contact points to provide (some) traction.

Hi

Anybody come accross these b4?

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/sncltrsy.html

A mate popped by today and was thinking of them for his 110 :blink:

I'm not convinced of thier benifits over conventional chains :unsure:

Anyway, as I promised him.................

I have posted them on here for your perusal & feed back :P

gary :ph34r:

Well i['m not sure that they are better then chains but they certainly aren't a lot worse

have seen a number of cars in the Alps using these, along with the 4 patch variety that are even easier to install. However most people in the alps won't use chains but will jst use winter tyres- they are incredible in thes snow and ice and imho can out perform chains in certain conditions- nothing is as good as studded winter tyres though!

They look like a fantastic idea to me!

It overcomes a lot of the problems associated with tensioning the chains - so they do not fall off, they are light weight and less likely to trash your motor of they do come off. Best of all - they are cheap.

Good bit of lateral thinking if you ask me.

I agree that dedicated snow tyres (particularly studded) are likely to be better - but less easy to keep a set in your boot!

I think if I were living somewhere with decent snow fall - but not the whole year round - I'd at least try these.

Sadly, the chances of it snowing at all round here are about the same as my tyres magically sprouting studs - so I'll hold out for the magic studs to appear.

Si

They look like a sound idea although doesnt rubber get brittle with the cold and wouldnt there be chance of them sticking to the ground the same as tyres, chains help reduce that a little (thats if left overnight in the cold etc)

In my experience, assuming decent M+S style tread, studded tyres are fantastic on compacted snow/ice, snow chains are only really used for new snow or deep powder and for the latter you prob arent going anywhere anyway unless you have a spare BV 206 kicking around!