Are prop shafts balanced? Can they go out of balance ?

Mean Green

My 200tdi 90 has a fairly bad vibration at around 55mph, it does not come through the steering wheel or seat like a wheel balance issue, it seems to be more prop related - ie it sounds like it is coming from the front & centre (under the dash). It means that I cannot currently go about 55 without getting deafened and really bad vibrations. The handling is not effected in any way.

There is no play in the UJ's that I can feel, but I have not yet taken them off for a proper inspection.

Could it be a diff problem - what are the symptoms when a diff is on the way out? is it a gradual thing or will it just let go?

thanks

yep

take the front prop off then drive it if the probs gone find

a new prop or get that one re-balanced

Thanks Nick,

I wanted to make sure I was not barking up teh wrong tree before starting to take props off etc.

Cheers

As suggested I'd get the prop off first, it's the only way to properly check the UJs and splines and possibly lost balanced weights or impact damage.

Also check the splines for wobble with the sleeve extended too.

Driving with the prop off gives you an idea of where the problem is, but doesn't prove the prop is at fault because you've taken the torque away from the whole of the front driveline.

Prop inbalace tends to felt as a rumble through your bum.

Could be a pinion bearing on the diff, or a transfer box output bearing (which should have a couple of mm vertical movement - but check for side to side play).