Lift removal. Shock advice

grumbleweed

I am removing the 2 inch lift from my rrc as it rolls far too much for everyday use. I have a set of springs to go on, but no shocks other than the ones on the car already with the lift. If i fit the springs, are the shocks going to be too long to be safe?

GW

I am removing the 2 inch lift from my rrc as it rolls far too much for everyday use. I have a set of springs to go on, but no shocks other than the ones on the car already with the lift. If i fit the springs, are the shocks going to be too long to be safe?

GW

Hi GW, my understanding is that the longer shocks simply travel further to allow for the lift, since you're dropping tdown they'll never get to their outer limits but that should be ok!

Will C.

If the shocks are also +2" then there is a distinct possibility that at full droop the springs will dislocate as the shock limits the down travel of the axle and it will obviously be able to travel lower than with a standard shock. So either retain the springs at both ends (top & bottom) or fit relocation cones or don't drive it off-road :lol: .

I would have thought that if they awere longer shocks theres a good possiblity that on full compression they might reach the bottom of their travel before the axle hits the bumpstop...

you can check this fairly easily... if they are bottoming out you'll need to change them for shorter ones...

I would have thought that if they awere longer shocks theres a good possiblity that on full compression they might reach the bottom of their travel before the axle hits the bumpstop...

you can check this fairly easily... if they are bottoming out you'll need to change them for shorter ones...

True, however in theory they would do that with the lift springs in also, as the bumpstop should be the limit of upwards travel not the spring or shock.

Front shocks are always very hard to remove, when i did it on my 90 i ended up drilling through the bottom nut with a large drill bit then smashing it with a chizzle and LR tool #1 untill it came off. It doesnt really matter you are destroying the shock as you'll be replacing it anyway and standard shocks are really quite cheap (under a tenner i think).

Cheeky bit :blush: - What are you doing with the lift your taking off, selling it? First dibs :D

You can get a hacksaw blade in to cut through the pin on the bottom of the shocks -only takes a few mins per side to get through -clearly you have to re-assemble the actual hacksaw around the axle bracketry otherwise it would take an age :rolleyes: