Stainless Exhausts

ColinTheCop

I've got a Rimmer Bros "cat back" system on the Disco, got it cheap about 4 years ago at Billing, £80 for a new system!! :D

The silencers are OK but the pipes are showing signs of surface rust. I went for stainless cos of the salt rich air we have up here and the system seemed reasonable to me at the time, even if it doesn't have the lifetime warrenty form Rimmer Bros. :D

Would I got for the same again?

We recently replaced the full exhaust on the Rangie and went for a normal on cos' I can get 3 standard systems for the price of a stainless one so not sure really.

When mine goes Ill be going for one of those shiny vortex ones. I read a review of em in a (non-landrover enthusiast :)) magazine (I guess I can say that now!) and they clean out the engine and give a bit more HP.

They are pricey though so Im going to wait untill I need one! They were selling em at Billing for a bit cheaper, but still they were pricey.

But oif they do what it says on the packey then I think it would be worth it for the extra power and MPG....

• 2 weeks later...

Is is possible to convey heavy cynicism through typing?.... :lol:

Whilst i think that that company's marketing people could sell sand to an arab, if the product did actually do all that it claimed, as well as making the world safe for democracy, then wouldn't it actually be a scientifically known and used concept rather than this door-to-door salemans wet dream?

The problem with fitting such a thing, is that after spending the money to fit it and taking it for the test drive, you'll convince yourself that it is making a difference... but then again, if you THINK it is then i guess that's all that matters!

Oh yes, I've seen those on adverts from 1960's car magazines, funny how we all dont use them even after 45 years have passed by which time they should be tuned to perfection....

Bit like those 60's devices that injected a water mist into the carb to extend gas mileage........

I know my petrol dosn't run well on water :)

as they say in America "snake oil" :)

vortex exhaust . . .

sorry, but think your gains would be best made by spending your money on well designed, well made tubular manifolds which take your exhaust pulses and join them in a reasonable order to ensure the gasses help pull each other through.

by the time the gasses have combined after the Y-piece, its a little pointless trying to do anything fancy other than achieving a good back pressure or length of exhaust, or just how the thing sounds from the outside by whacking a cherry bomb on...

i'll agree with both posts....

on the V8, the tubulars and correct pulsing will make a difference.

on the tdi, its pointless in my opinion. the turbo will act as a mechanism to continue sucking air through the engine as it spins anyway.

the biggest gain was probably had from throwing all that engine cleaner and injector cleaner stuff through it.

• 5 years later...

i am fairly sure you can stick a 300tdi defender exhaust on the disco with the same engine, you can get rid of the extra silencers and bends in the system too which will give you more free exhaust gasses, maybe a defender stainless exhaust will fit and be cheaper than a disco one.

richard