Albrights

treebloke

At Uplowman recently my front winch would only winch in and not out which was a real pain because it was under tension at the time with a mature Oak tree in the way.

A sound guy gave me some good advice which was to stand my Albright upright instead of having lay flat, it had never occurred to me but the little electrodes inside which work on a spring prefer to be vertical. So I did this and it started working after a bit of a tap with a spanner.

But he also said to move it nearer to the winch motor. I have since noticed several trucks with their Albrights actually fixed to the motors.

Is it really that critical to get it so close and what is the advantage?. How near or far is the optimum distance if there is one.

Bob, makes no difference how far away you have it as long as you use decent cable.

No idea if they prefer to be vertical or not, Both my fronts are on their side and seem ok at the moment. To be honest if they are not capable of drawing in at any angle then they certainly are not going to draw in hard enough to make a connection capable of handling the current they need to. So i would have thought they are fine lay down.

In theory, the closer the solenoids to the winch, the better.

The current flows into the solenoids through one wire, it then goes between the solenoids and the winch three times, so the nearer you move the solenoids to the winch, the shorter the total length of wire used, therefore you lower total resistance (however small it may/may not be). as you shorten the three wires, you're lengthening only one, so you're completely removing two times the distance of wire.

Guest diesel_jim
my Albright upright instead of having lay flat, it had never occurred to me but the little electrodes inside which work on a spring prefer to be vertical.

must be very weak springs if they can't beat gravity

In theory, the closer the solenoids to the winch, the better.

The current flows into the solenoids through one wire, it then goes between the solenoids and the winch three times, so the nearer you move the solenoids to the winch, the shorter the total length of wire used, therefore you lower total resistance (however small it may/may not be). as you shorten the three wires, you're lengthening only one, so you're completely removing two times the distance of wire.

Totally agree with the theory but in practice, as long as you use decent cable you wont notice any difference. IMHO you much better off have slightly more cable and have them out of harms way. Ive had them broken when mounted on the front by stray branch's etc.

Guest weeble
At Uplowman recently my front winch would only winch in and not out which was a real pain because it was under tension at the time with a mature Oak tree in the way.

A sound guy gave me some good advice which was to stand my Albright upright instead of having lay flat, it had never occurred to me but the little electrodes inside which work on a spring prefer to be vertical. So I did this and it started working after a bit of a tap with a spanner.

But he also said to move it nearer to the winch motor. I have since noticed several trucks with their Albrights actually fixed to the motors.

Is it really that critical to get it so close and what is the advantage?. How near or far is the optimum distance if there is one.

Bob,

Mine did exactly the same on the rear winch. I had the solenoid laid flat and after a while it started to play up. I then did as you say and moved it to an upright position and if seemed to cure it.

After putting it upright it still refused to work every time, it will winch in but not out and Berts has exactly the same problem (it had been flat) so I have put a goodwinch one on mine.

I am happier with this straight away as I prefer the spade conectors to the tiny little screws. The instructions for the new one states it can be laid flat or upright as long as the conectors are uppermost.