Bolts that hold the brake caliper are different. What are they?

Had a look at my Def 110 (2000) front brake calipers in preparation for their removal and noticed the bolts that hold them are not the normal type.

They're basically a sort of "sun with rays" shape.

What kind of bolt is this? Apart from the strange bolt changing the caliper seems not to be very complicated. (Although my experience is limited thus far to series drums.)

/RJ

A 12 point socket from halfords fits nicely on these. Can't remember what size it is though as when I was replacing my half shaft and undoing all these bits, I wrote the sizes down in marker pen and it rained.

chuffing great.

:(

EDIT: Ok, just popped outside with the socket rail and it is a 13mm socket.

People get Torx and Spline mixed up. Torx has 6-points, and spline has 12. You can use an ordinary hex socket on a spline bolt, but there's an increased risk that it will slip and round the head off.

The caliper bolts should have threadlock or torque seal on them. It's very common to find that someone has greased them in the past to make removal easier, which is a bad idea.

Les.

Les.

Wise words again

I clean bot the bolt threads and the bracket threads with either a tap or a die. Which ever fits which. I check the bolt heads for any marks and renew if necessary.

I then apply thread seal to the threads. As I've said in other places the thread seal does actually seal the threads from the outside elements unlike grease which can wash out.