Levelling an axle

sheeppimp

I have now fitted the parabolics to the 80(after some useful advice on removing the front prop - 'twas siezed) and now have a diff that's angled down on the front axle.

From searching on here I see that wedges have been used to correct this - are these a commercially available thing or self build? If commercially available where from? I noticed several people having had problems with them working loose is there any reason why I couldn't weld them to the spring seat?

ta in advance

I have now fitted the parabolics to the 80(after some useful advice on removing the front prop - 'twas siezed) and now have a diff that's angled down on the front axle.

From searching on here I see that wedges have been used to correct this - are these a commercially available thing or self build? If commercially available where from? I noticed several people having had problems with them working loose is there any reason why I couldn't weld them to the spring seat?

ta in advance

Example of some 6 degree wedges

I got mine from ProComp Explorer (?) in the UK.

I got mine from Procomp.They are aluminium,so welding would be tricky.

The springs have a small spigot on their upper surface which locates into the spring perch on the axle - the wedges prevent this locating,and so the whole lot moves around a little and works loose.

steel wedges with a spigot on top and welded on would be the wat to go.

Which end are your shackles on the 80"....? Are the springs the correct way around...? using any sort of blocks or wedges is extremely dangerous.... I'll have a dig around and find a magazine i have with examples of this going really wrong using blocks/wedges.... Under heavy breaking or strain axles coming away from vehicle completely, loss of steering, loss of breaks and all sorts..... Up to you though...

okaaay so wedges are not well thought of by the panel [/undertatement mode off] :lol:

ah the wedges are aluminium - can see why that would make welding tricky

looks like it might be mr grinder then - rats, axle off again :angry:

Wedges may not be absolutely ideal but as long as you keep an eye on your ubolts and make sure they are tight and all is ship-shape on a regular basis, they should be fine.

• 1 month later...
Wedges may not be absolutely ideal but as long as you keep an eye on your ubolts and make sure they are tight and all is ship-shape on a regular basis, they should be fine.

Not had a problem with mine so far, machined wedges made of steel but only 2 deg to correct the sterring after longer shackles.