Lift pump............is it stuffed?

Josh

Hi everyone,

My discovery 300tdi has been suffering from slight but noticable power loss recenlty, especially up hills. Its been struggling to pull and sluggish through the gears (more so than normal!).

At the weekend I went about changing all the filters and decided to clean out the inlet manifold and block the egr while i had the time. After this i decided to have a look at the lift pump as i have been told of their un-reliability.

I loosened the bleed screw on the fuel filter and went to work the manual pump and there was no resistance on the lever and it wasnt pumping any fuel through? Im not too clued up on fuel sytems so i didnt know exactly what to make of this.

My question is.......is my lift pump stuffed and if so will this be a reason for my power loss?

Thanks

Josh

try flicking the engine over on the starter and then try the pump again if the cam is in the wrong position it can cause that

if nothing improves after a few goes then yes it is probably stuffed

Cheers bogmonster,

Tried flicking the engine over on the starter a few times. There was no significant change in resistance on the pump lever so im going to assume its stuffed.

Josh

Disconnect the pipe that goes from the pump to the filter (at the filter end), disconnect the fuel cut-off switch wire on the back of the injector pump, then spin the engine on the starter. Fuel should pump out. If it dribbles, or nothing at all, then the pump is likely to be broken. The only other posibility is a blockage or kink in the pipe from the tank, but this is a bit unlikely.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=23135

Les.

Thanks for the replies. I had looked into prices and noticed they were pretty cheap so i will replace it asap. Does anyone know the genuine part no for a lift pump (disco 98 300tdi)? Any advice for removal and fitting?

Cheers

Josh