EBay again!!!!!

Guest MJG

I think deep down I know the answer to this but I would value the opinion of others.

Just sold an item on eBay for £400. Buyer paid instantly and his funds are now sat in my PayPal account.

Printed off the PayPal packing slip this morning to post the item and his address comes up:-

huhu ewr34

234 edfjewpkijfrew

ewdweqf, ewfwe df42su United Kingdom :blink::blink:

Interestingly this is showing as a confirmed PayPal address - gawd knows how. The post code DF2 2SU is not even valid.

This is the same address that came through on the Ebay close of sale email. I have contacted the buyer (Over 100 feedback BTW with a few negs) but as yet have not recieved a response apart from an automated response from his ISP saying he is away till today.

I suspect the buyer is going to send me an alternative address to post the item to but I am reluctant to send it to any other address as I lose my seller protection if I do this. Surely If I do this he can just say he never ever recived it and initiate a PayPal charge back and then be in possesion of not only the item but the £400.

I would rather refund his money (dead easy to do via. PayPal) get a neg for refusing to complete the transaction than lose £400 and the item, what do you folks think.

huhu ewr34

234 edfjewpkijfrew

ewdweqf, ewfwe??

isn't that just outside swindon?

I'd report the invalid address to ebay customer services first, after all paypal is an ebay company!!

Get them to confirm address for shipping from the winning bidder and bring him/her into line..

I'd report the invalid address to ebay customer services first, after all paypal is an ebay company!!

Get them to confirm address for shipping from the winning bidder and bring him/her into line..

wot Dred says, get Ebay/paypal involved before shipping, rather than getting negged without consulting the purchaser; whatever the reason for the address, he wouldn't be mightily happy when the refund is minus the paypal fees.

wot Dred says, get Ebay/paypal involved before shipping, rather than getting negged without consulting the purchaser; whatever the reason for the address, he wouldn't be mightily happy when the refund is minus the paypal fees.

Hi - well I have refered this to eBay but also have now sent a refund - just too dodgy for me. There cannot be any other reason for the dodgy address other than to provoke a seller into sending to an alternative and thus lose what little protection eBay offer.

For info. when you send a refund the full amount they paid goes back, the fees the seller incurs are automatically re-added to the amount.

AFAIK the recipients don't pay any fees to recieve a reund but I could be wrong.

I did get a response late last night from the buyer.....however it contained vile and offensive language so I have now reported that to eBay too. No doubt my first neg will follow but I can live with that.

Thanks for your input folks.

I once ordered a set of pullers from a trader who had conflicting messages as to whether shipping to France was an option, although their custom automatic payment system seemed happy with a French address; needless to say the normal stupidity followed, a "refund" was immediate although I had to complain to paypal to get the fee back, after what 2 months? what you've refunded is what you would have got [ie minus the fee], not what they paid. Luckily I had taken screenshots as I could foresee potential difficulty. You've done it now, though, so it's too late for regrets :)

I once ordered a set of pullers from a trader who had conflicting messages as to whether shipping to France was an option, although their custom automatic payment system seemed happy with a French address; needless to say the normal stupidity followed, a "refund" was immediate although I had to complain to paypal to get the fee back, after what 2 months? what you've refunded is what you would have got [ie minus the fee], not what they paid. Luckily I had taken screenshots as I could foresee potential difficulty. You've done it now, though, so it's too late for regrets :)

Cheers yes I can see from the transaction now that you are correct. If he moans about this I will happily send him the difference direct via. PayPal as I would rather lose a few quid than £400 plus the item.

At the end of the day the bottom line is he is completely in the wrong not having a valid mailing address registered with PayPal - eBay so I ain't losing too much sleep over this bozo to be honest. I will happily defend what I have done if I need to to anybody at eBay/PayPal - plus the offensive email he sent me last night in my view completely further undermines any case he may have had.

he is completely in the wrong not having a valid mailing address registered with PayPal - eBay

sounds right;

it's funny that it's possible at all to put a funny address in paypal as it's linked to credit card/bank account. My main address says '.. [postcode], France, United Kingdom' [don't tell the French! :lol: ] as it would have been a hassle to switch to a paypal.fr account. The address that gets sent to vendors, though, is simply ..[postcode], France, so there's no reason that your purchaser couldn't have put a proper address in as a supplementary address.

I'd have said that in your case, once you would have contacted paypal, they should default to the [bank] account address to send the item to. I've seen reference to US traders waiting 45 days for unverified [everyone non-US I think] paypal addresses, as a kind of 'clearance' time, would have been a further option.

Although abusive language isn't right in general, I'd tend not to base an entire judgment on a few less than wholesome words, I know I occasionally resort to it myself when it's justified — there are a few right tw*ts around who seem as though they wouldn't get the message without a bit of 'directness' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Incidentally, Ebay's procedure in case of a complaint is to 'suggest' that the parties request contact details first. Unless you do that, there's a possibility of being held in the wrong on a refusal to send item complaint; Ebay seem to put unjustified faith in the request contact details procedure.