Where is best to mount it!

tuffstuff

I have recently fitted new wheels and tyres but i can not get the spare in the back so i have toyed with the idea of fitting the spare on the roof. I do not want a roof rack and i deffo do not want to fit the spare on the bonnet. can anyone advise me on what i will need to do to fit it please

Here is my idea, if anyone has a better idea i am all ears. I thought about fitting a 250mm square plate to the bonnet with four bolts securing it to the roof and weld two bolts to this plate spacing them for two bolt holes, does this sound OK?

post-5666-1216239240_thumb.jpg

I think the roof will require some strengthening to take the weight of the wheel.

Putting it up high is not a great plan IMHO better off trying again to fit it inside or build yourself a swing away rear carrier.

I have recently fitted new wheels and tyres but i can not get the spare in the back so i have toyed with the idea of fitting the spare on the roof. I do not want a roof rack and i deffo do not want to fit the spare on the bonnet. can anyone advise me on what i will need to do to fit it please

Here is my idea, if anyone has a better idea i am all ears. I thought about fitting a 250mm square plate to the bonnet with four bolts securing it to the roof and weld two bolts to this plate spacing them for two bolt holes, does this sound OK?

Try a swing away spare wheel carrier. Check out my albums - when I built my bob, I tried the bonnet and the rear. Sometimes both!

it would block vision a bit outa the rear, but what about on the top tailgate? you'd need some stonger arms (on the door) though.

You don't lose that much vision as it's mounted fairly low.

Top tailgate wouldn't be strong enough and even if it was you'd be overdosing on spinach!

Mount it on the Mantlepiece dear boy !!!! :lol::lol:

Check out my pics for a pivlock swing away carrier on the rangie convertible - I even have a brake light on top of mine and it doesn't really upset rear vision.

I'm also going to put one on the latest project Its a classic with one of those quaint tin roofs! :rolleyes:

I reckon on the bonnet will be a bit of a distraction as that big-ol' tyre will sit quite high. I agree about the roof rack but why not fabricate an alloy square frame to attach to the gutters about the same diameter as the tyre?