ratios?

hi all,

was hoping uou could help me out.

i am in the process of cleaning up my new 200tdi (well 2nd hand) ready to fit in my 1984 defender 90. at the moment the plan is to use the 200tdi engine with the original defender gearbox and then a discovery 1 transfer box. ultimatly i want to fit some big tyres which i have already (cant remember what size at the moment will post tonight)

i was mentioning my plan to a landrover guru at work the other day and he suggested i fit a transfer box from the 110 as the ratio in that is approx 1.6:1. and if i didnt then then my finished fan would just feel sluggish when pulling away. due to the larger tyres and the ratio of the discovery 1 transfer box.

was hoping you could all help me out and tell me what you think.

thanks

will (bob)

Guest diesel_jim

Depends on what you call "big" for your tyres.

If you're running with a 1.2:1 t/box, and you tweek the fuelling and boost on the engine, then you'll be OK, just with 7.50's/235's

if you go to 35" sort of thing, then i'd swap to a 1.4:1 (which is a standard defender Tdi ratio)

If you're planning silly-ly big, like 37's, then go for the 1.6:1

remember though, that low range is the same on all the above boxes, so eventhough 1st low is still low, it'll be "geared up" by the size of your "big" tyres.

remember though, that low range is the same on all the above boxes, so eventhough 1st low is still low, it'll be "geared up" by the size of your "big" tyres.

... and that can make for some interesting hill descents !!!

Mo

hello

just been down my garage and had a look at the new tyres. they are 7.50 R16 mud terrain. so i should go with the 1.2:1 transfer box and is that a standard discovery one.

also was just thinking wil i have to put spacers on between the hubs and wheels to enable full lock, havnt put them on to have a go yet. they are still on a series 3 at the moment.

cheers for all yoer help

will