Safari Roof

mwy1964

Hi all, I have a Safari roof currently on my series 3 that I will be swapping for a standard roof. I keep hearing that Safari roofs are fairly uncommon and perhaps even sought after.

Anyway I am not sure if the roof has been created by a previous owner to look like a Safari roof and was looking for information here prior to getting rid of it.

The reason I think it has been fabricated is, it appears to have no internal vents to let the air into the car, which I am positive, looking at pictures of other Safari roofed Land Rovers, it should have. The roof also had a roof lining when I purchased that looked factory fitted.

If it has been fabricated someone has done a very good job as the panel is well fitted. So I suppose the questions is did all Safari roofed cars have internal air vents. The car is a 1983 series 3 SWB.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Thanks for the feedback so far... I have had a good look at it now and it seems to be too well done to have been fabricated by a previous owner... So just maybe they started fitting Safari roofs without vents in later models... Ala Portugal.

JBorges - Thanks for the piccie thats exactly as it looks minus your roofs battle scars... Mines actually in good knick just I would have kept it except I seeing it adding some additional drag factor and I do not see much call for it when working my gundog October thru till Jan..

Mark...

In fact we have 3 types of safaris roofs:

- Hardtop + double skin

- Hardtop + double skin + alpines windows

- Hardtop + double skin + alpines windows + vents

That would further explain it then as it was originally a standard hardtop van..

Thanks for the info

Mark

If it's in good nick and doesn't leak like a sieve (no vents), why ditch it? They are remarkably effective (by Land Rover standards) in dissipating heat.

Good point, I prefer the look of the standard roof. The car will be mainly used as a hardtop in the winter carrying me and the dog around shoots. The summer I plan to have sticks and canvas.

Mark

• 14 years later...
On 8/6/2008 at 11:36 AM, JBorges said:

In Portugal is common to see safari roofs without the vents.

An example:

post-5744-1218016170_thumb.jpg

Hi guys! I have exactly the same tropical roof on my land rover (Series 2), but with alpine windows/vents. It has the fixed rounded back windows instead of the sliding windows more commonly seen. Does anyone know the history of this type of roof? Many thanks. Cheers. Pete.

Les ge some terminologies right - where the roof of the Series 1-3 has alpine lights etc this is a safari roof.  If the roof of the vehicle then has the extra sheet metal roof that sits about 1.5" above the roof to provide insulation this is called a tropical roof.  A safari roof also normally had vents in it and if also fitted with a tropical roof, the tropical roof had bulges in it so the vents could be opened.

So you can have a normal roof with a tropical roof on it and you can have a safari roof with no tropical roof on it or some you can.

My Series 1 with Safari Roof and Tropical Roof

293168788_SWNSW2.JPG.885f029ee291d443fa51d2f68048fe1e.JPG

My Series 3 with normal roof and Tropical Roof - but note the cutout and vents at the front - not standard.

037.JPG.c18eb04d6fbb0c7b24a58c7802ce62f5.JPG

• Like 1