Guess the gearbox

Landowner

Doesn't look like a V8 bellhousing, so no it wouldn't fit a V8. If the levers are in the wrong place then it doubly won't do.

BTW the numbers you've photographed are casting numbers, the gearbox serial number is stamped onto a machined flat bit of the body, that would help identify exactly what flavour it is.

Doesn't look like a V8 bellhousing, so no it wouldn't fit a V8. If the levers are in the wrong place then it doubly won't do.

BTW the numbers you've photographed are casting numbers, the gearbox serial number is stamped onto a machined flat bit of the body, that would help identify exactly what flavour it is.

OOPS :blush:

I'll call back and look at the serial No on Wednesday.

Can the bellhousings be swapped then as I notice that this one is bolted on to the box, and the gear shift position isn't a problem that can't be overcome if the box is cheap enough. :D

The bellhousings can be swapped but the input shaft will probably end up the wrong length, not an easy thing to change. Likewise the gear shifters, swapping from "straight up" (RR/Disco style) to "forwards" (Defender style) involves swapping the back half of the box across, not just swapping the linkages.

At the very least you would need to swap the input shaft as well, and probably get into fun with bearings and oil leaks and and and...

Have fun :lol:

Edited by BogMonster
That Fridge beat me to it :rtfm: