A couple of Electrical questions

My record of successful solo electrical installations runs to about 2 at the moment, so I thought I'd better check a few things before getting the cutters and tape out...

All queries relate to a 200TDi Defender (Defender engine!!)...

1) I'm upgarding the alternator to a 100 amp jobbie. Which wiring do I need to upgrade? Is it just the link between the alternator and starter motor, or do I need to go all the way back to the battery?

2) I have an earth problem which means that the instrument panel lights come on when I put my foot on the brakes. Can anyone tell me the location of the earth point for all of the dash lights and brake light switch? Does this seem like the likely problem, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Any advice appreciated...

TIA

Adrian

Thanks Fridge. I suppose I knew it really, but just wanted to check!!

2. Knowing the car, I always assumed it was related to the LED bulbs. You will find that the side lights do it too. ;)

I guess it has always done it, then!! I just never noticed before!! Been a bit over-observant since changing the engine just to make sure everything is OK. I know I had earth problems with the starter, so was wondering if I have a general earth problem across the vehicle....

you should have 2 earth cables

1 from battery -ve to transfer box to main gearbox joint

1 from alternator/power steering pump bracket to the chassis part of the left engine mount.

if 1 of those is poor or missing you'll have loads of problems.

there's also a earth point on the bulkhead near the fuel filter.

lights coming on when braking quite often happens when a dual filament Stop/Tail bulb has been replaced with a single filament Brake light bulb

The single pin shorts the two pins together so that when you brake it feeds power back up the other circuit and powers up the side lights...