overfueling..

pigster

overfuelling = black soot and high EGT = melted valves and pistons.

White smoke on start up = coolant or condensation in cylinders.

Tdis always give a puff of dark smoke on start, should then clear straight away. To get continuous white smoke more likely to be head gasket...

are but thats just it.. its white smoke for the startup (seconds) then a large amount of blue then once you start driving and not just reving.. it clears up .. however I have been told that when changing gears and general flooring it, it coffs out a diesel smell, with the smoke.

overfuelling = black soot and high EGT = melted valves and pistons.

White smoke on start up = coolant or condensation in cylinders.

Tdis always give a puff of dark smoke on start, should then clear straight away. To get continuous white smoke more likely to be head gasket...

White smoke could also be unburnt fuel due to timing - I'd suggest you advance the pump timing a bit (and I do mean "a bit", think 1° on the pump, so 2° increase BTDC. That might clear it up but if it sounds like someone's building a shed inside, you've gone too far.

Burnt/partially burnt diesel has a different smell to how it smells 'at the pump', lovely smell in my opinion but not good for you. Other reasons for not burning it properly include poor in-cylinder motion (valves not opening far enough?) or poor spray pattern from an injector.

ahhh ha.. things are getting clearer now.. currently she runs ok - a bit smokey but I can not see it when driving.

But the white smoke I think is to timing- - its a def 200tdi engine with a disco 200 pump on it. and I have noticed that the pump and the turbo have different part numbers and so does the valve springs - everything else is the same. I wonder if that is the cause of me problems..

WHat are the actual difference between a disco and def pump?

in which case what should I do... detune the disco pump???? HOW?? :huh: or slap on the disco turbo (which I have) and hope it fits, and then see if I need to re- spring the valves or not.. How different are they (the springs that is) tension etc etc...???

all gets confusing and too many dam questions.. the other option is play with the timing as it stands....

JOY...

any help would be good thanks. :D

White smoke could also be unburnt fuel due to timing - I'd suggest you advance the pump timing a bit (and I do mean "a bit", think 1° on the pump, so 2° increase BTDC. That might clear it up but if it sounds like someone's building a shed inside, you've gone too far.

Burnt/partially burnt diesel has a different smell to how it smells 'at the pump', lovely smell in my opinion but not good for you. Other reasons for not burning it properly include poor in-cylinder motion (valves not opening far enough?) or poor spray pattern from an injector.

and so does the valve springs

Not strictly true

Defender 200Tdi valve spring upto engine number 11L37880A use ERR314 but were superseded by ERR4640 from engine number 11L37881A

Discovery 200Tdi valve springs from engine number 12L****** use ERR4640 :D

so my 200Tdi [Defender type] must have the ERR314 as it's number is 11L00777A

White smoke indicates unburnt fuel.

Black smoke indicates incomplete combustion of the fuel.

Blue smoke occurs when the engine is burning oil.

White smoke can occur when a diesel engine is cold, but should not occur when the engine is warm.