Rear rad mounting on a 90/tomcat!

Steve 90

Im going to try and avoid it but for things to work out the way I want them too I think im going to have to mount the radiator in the rear of the truck. I know theres loads of you that have done it as ive seen plenty of trucks with them in the rear, but never really paid any attention. Anyone got any pics of how you have gone about it and Info on what you used (although I will probably get Ali sport to make one). Hope to try and keep it down so i can still see out of the rear window. At the moment I really cant see where im going to mount it. Even if I move the ctr winch I'm going to be struggling for room.

Cheers in advance.

Steve.

Not sure how it would work on a trayback but i mounted the rad (2.5TD one) facing sideways on the wheelbox of the tub - directly behind the driver seat so no loss in visibility and it's not in the way of the rear/top winch. Aluminium brackets bodged to hold it in place, twin mondeo fan cowling (facing inboard) pulling air in from the outside, switched off an x-fan switch (motors need to be through relays - i've had two of the intermotor switches seize on due to (i think) too much current). Header tank stuck on top. 40mm marine exhaust hose running either side of the gearbox up into the engine bay with small valves to bleed the air out at the high points (tricky to avoid airlocks otherwise). All in all it seems to cope with cooling fine - few degrees higher on the road maybe. Ideally would need a cage / gauze to protect it more from tree branches coming in from the side. LR grille stuck over it for effect. Can take some photos if of use?

The 2.5TD radiator has more cores than the V8 radiators and also has the engine oil cooler pipework which could come in handy for cooling the autobox

Why pay Alisport? Wander the scrappy with a tape measure. Rear-mounting brings the benefit that the thing should never see mud, so will never clog, so can be a fine-finned very efficient modern ali thing from something cheap and plentiful, Mondeo V6 springs to mind. You'll be surprised how small you can make a rad when it doesn't need to work coated in mud.

A mate of mine (all the best stories start this way) had a 2.25P rad on a 300Tdi in the back of a lightweight - hole in the floor and a hole in the back door for air in/out with big fans. I wasn't sure that the air wouldn't naturally come IN the back door and OUT through the floor but I think the fans dominated the situation. I can't remember if he pulled much mud up through the floor when offroad either, but he eventually went to a big scoop on the roof and an exit hole in the floor.

You could put a scoop on the roof and a second skin down the back of the cab, with a window so you can still see out, to take air down to the rad mounted behind the seat bulkhead.

Twin mondeo fans shift a lot of air, plenty to cool a V8, so an ali V6 mondeo rad complete with fans sounds a good suggestion.

You could put a scoop on the roof and a second skin down the back of the cab, with a window so you can still see out, to take air down to the rad mounted behind the seat bulkhead.

Twin mondeo fans shift a lot of air, plenty to cool a V8, so an ali V6 mondeo rad complete with fans sounds a good suggestion.

I let James have a pair of those fans in favour for using the aircon fans from a RRC. Felt as though they were shifting even more air. On my truck they are mounted engine side of the rad. If you put your hand in front of the rad you can feel the air being pulled through. Never had any probs with cooling, apart from my apparent knack off eating senders to switch them on/off.