Discovery 200TDI Central Locking Gremlins

lrnewbie

Hi all,

New Land Rover owner with a K reg, 5 door, 7 seater 200TDI. Love the car but as always at this age there are a few problems to sort out. I've looked at central locking threads but couldn't find anything that quite fitted all my particular problems. In short:

1. Front passenger door; when central locking is operated no problems locking it but when opened through fob often it slips down a couple of mil and effectively locks itself independently from the rest of the doors so that you need the key to get in or have to lift it manually. I think this is a spring problem that is often raised, £4 on Ebay, does this sound right?

2. Rear tailgate; lock goes down to lock when you press key fob but springs straight back up and doesn't lock at all, tried pushing it down manually but that doesn't work either. I've tried the key but the lock is seized completely when you try and turn it from the outside. Is this another spring problem or is it something electric to do with the actuator? Also, with the seized key/lock, is it just a case of taking it off and cleaning/greasing everything?

3. Front drivers door: central locking from the fob is fine but turning the key doesn't activate the central locking for the whole car, is it suppposed to be like that? I thought, as is the case with other central locking cars that you could use the key. If it is a fault any suggestions for solutions?

Ta very much in advance for your response.

1, 3. That's interesting, because you are supposed to control central locking via front left door lock. When you lock it with a key or manually other doors should be also locked.

I flicked through the workshop manual this morning and I'm sure it said the driver's door would control the central locking, both by using the key and also manually pushing down the lock. I'll double check that, also I haven't tested pushing the lock down manually from the inside.

Hi Irnewbie

1. Your right it's the spring that's the symptions

2. Sounds like the servo is out of sync and is trying to unlock the door while u are telling it to lock. So u must get access to the survo unplug it and then slowly push the operating rod in the opposite direction to what it is, and then reconnect the plug.

And the lock must be like mine as I can only get the key in 3/4 of the way. Why bother u won't use it when the CL is functioning correctly.

3. Yes it is. Drivers door is the main the other four are slaves.

I flicked through the workshop manual this morning and I'm sure it said the driver's door would control the central locking, both by using the key and also manually pushing down the lock. I'll double check that, also I haven't tested pushing the lock down manually from the inside.

Which in the Ukraine may well be the front left door, as they are probably LHD :)

Hi Irnewbie

1. Your right it's the spring that's the symptions

2. Sounds like the servo is out of sync and is trying to unlock the door while u are telling it to lock. So u must get access to the survo unplug it and then slowly push the operating rod in the opposite direction to what it is, and then reconnect the plug.

And the lock must be like mine as I can only get the key in 3/4 of the way. Why bother u won't use it when the CL is functioning correctly.

3. Yes it is. Drivers door is the main the other four are slaves.

Thanks for the answers, I 'll order a spring from Ebay:

2. When you refer to the servo is that the same as the door actuator? Also, if it's out of sync would that mean that when I press the fob to release the doors it would actually lock it? Or does it not work like that? I was wondering, because it kept springing back up and wouldn't stay down manually I wondered if it was something mechanical, the spring again?

Yes, door locking actuator as Land Rover call them, the servo bit is inside. Inside there is an electric motor that revolves one way to lock and the other way to unlock hence moving the operating rod in or out.

If it's the servo motor pushing the button up (u can hear it clonk as if unlocking) then it may just require a adjustment of the actuator undo the mounting screws and move the the actuator only a fraction and try the locking button again.

I don't think have a major problem, is simple as I have recently found out Ihad something similar with my back door, then I took the actuator apart and re-greased the cogs in side but I had to re-sync and adjust when installing the unit back into the door

Something in the system or controller dosen't allow only one door to lock.

Yes, door locking actuator as Land Rover call them, the servo bit is inside. Inside there is an electric motor that revolves one way to lock and the other way to unlock hence moving the operating rod in or out.

If it's the servo motor pushing the button up (u can hear it clonk as if unlocking) then it may just require a adjustment of the actuator undo the mounting screws and move the the actuator only a fraction and try the locking button again.

I don't think have a major problem, is simple as I have recently found out Ihad something similar with my back door, then I took the actuator apart and re-greased the cogs in side but I had to re-sync and adjust when installing the unit back into the door

Something in the system or controller dosen't allow only one door to lock.

Cheers again, I'll have a go this weekend and update the thread on my efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheers again, I'll have a go this weekend and update the thread on my efforts.

For anyone following this thread; I had a go at the tailgate door on Sunday with great results. It actually turned out to be the spring which I'd ordered from Ebay. I bought a whole set of 5 for about £15 I think as I thought it'd be useful to have them at the ready and I still have the front door to do.

What may have confused the symptons was somebody had put an elastic band on the door locking nib (my name for it) so that it always stayed up, explaining why it dipped with the central locking but sprang straight up again. They obviously did this so that they could always open the back door without using their key. Without the elastic the door would have always stayed locked and could only be manually opened with a key or by holding the nib up as the spring was broken.

A fiddly job but I had the official Land Rover manual which helped immensely, a few breath holding moments putting it all back together but after a bit of head scratching everything now works perfectly. Also solved the seized key barrel; originally sprayed loads of WD40 from the outside with no joy; but pulled the whole handle out, sprayed WD40 from the back of the key barrel and worked perfectly after a minute of soaking.

Will try the front door in the next couple of weeks and report back.