Lucas TRW clutch master cylinder.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any uncharacteristic problems with the above mentioned master cylinder.

I've just had the rubbers in one fail after roughly 12k miles, so today I attempted to renew the seals but the internal plunger/spring assembly kept parting company at the slightest movement so I decided to ere on the side of caution and fit a new master cylinder, which happened to be a Lucas TRW.

Now this new one refuses to bleed properly, which led me to remember that the last one took a lot of effort to bleed as well.

So, I was wondering if this is a particular trait with this manufacturer now.

Prior to this I always used Girling, which became Lucas Girling, and never had any problems with either but Girling seems to have disappeared and been replaced by TRW (whom I've never heard of before) and coincided with an alteration to their master cylinders. Manufactured to a price rather than a standard perhaps.

Jon.

The cylinder casting is certainly different, as is the screw cap and there is nothing to identify it as a Lucas part other than the box it came in. So I'm guessing they are churned out by some factory in the far east and become a"Genuine Lucas" part when they're put in a box with Lucas printed on it. Rationalised manufacturing to increase profit margins perhaps.

You'd never be in any doubt with the old Girling cylinders.

I'll try bleeding the thing again tomorrow and if it doesn't, it'll go back from where it came from.

Jon.

The cylinder casting is certainly different, as is the screw cap and there is nothing to identify it as a Lucas part other than the box it came in.

Just out of interest I assume the cylinder casting has TRW in raised lettering on the right-hand side looking from the front? If the cylinder casting doesn't have TRW on it anywhere then I would imagine someone's put a pattern part in a Lucas /TRW box (BTW they're now coming in red TRW boxes, no Lucas or Girling marked anywhere).

The castings on both the old and new cylinders lack lettering or any other identifying marks but are both identical. The old one was package in a Lucas/TRW box and was purchased from DLS. The new one came in the new TRW box as you described but the cylinder was in a plastic bag with Lucas written all over it and it too came from a reputable independent local to me.

Apart from that....its time to make myself look stupid now....

Had another go at bleeding it today and discovered that the non return valve in my "eazy bleed" kit wasn't working properly. Got another bleedin' kit, and it bled fine.

Who is it that never blames his tools...?

Any way, I'll reserve judgement on its quality, see how long it takes for this one wear out.

Jon.