Cardan Propshaft (Scorpion?) UJ replacement

JDB

Evening - a little bit of help please.

I have a (I think) Scorpion Cardan Propshaft, the UJs were a little worn, I have replaced the front one (part no STC 3466 I recall).

I need to replace the rear one (STC 3466 again I think) and the one with the whole through for the ball joint - does anyone know the part number and the method of extraction/replacement?

Prop is on a Disco 300tdi if it makes any difference.

Pics as below

IMG_2731Large.jpg

IMG_2733Large.jpg

first time ive seen one of these up close and now wondering why are people not making their own ?

that looks very very much to me like the double cardan bit is just two end flanges welded together with a piece of steel sandwiched in between. (but youve just said something about a ball joint? where's that then? and what's its purpose?

could do that and send it to the engineers for trueing up!

certainly know what Im doing if i have vibration issues!

sorry, I know that's not the point of the post, I shall go and sit in the off topic naughty corner!

There is a ball joint which ensures that the two joints at the "double" end both move by the same amount, otherwise it would be a bit like somebody with no knee joint i.e. would flop about all over the place and then snap off :)

No idea on the one pictured but AFAIK on the genuine LR one for a D2 you can change the UJ but not the other bit with the balljoint in. Which of course is the bit that fails...

Will also email the Propshaft clinic to see if they can help as well!

I might see if I can find someone who can press them out carefully and see if I can get it "reconditioned" ie new needles and grease - might give it some more life.