Defender accident and VIN Number

Hello,

I am trying to match the chasis number in my Defender 110 Td5 (year 2000) with the VIN number. I do not know where to get the VIN number from.

My chasis number is : SALLDHM88YA187389

Anybody has a table which links chasis numers to the VIN?

Why am I trying to get the VIN for my vehicle?

There recently was a fatal accident involving a LR Defender Td5 in a road in Argentina and according to the investigation the problem was that the rear axle of the Defender came loose (while the vehicle was driving OK at 110/120kms hour along a straight, flat, paved road). The vehicle was in perfect conditions, had 100K kms mainly along paved roads, only had 1 owner and had been properly maintained. According to the investigation the rear radius arm (or maybe the A bar, not sure which) came loose and that triggered the accident. This description on the local news and through the web of the incident triggered opinions by LR owners, one of which mentioned that there was a warning or recall by Land Rover which took place last February. According to the comment I read there has been a problem with the welding of the base or support of the rear A bar. The problem would be related to LR Defender 90, 110 and 130 with VIN numbers between LD736064 and LD752152.

I thought the best place to confirm or discard this data would be in England and in this FORUM

Has anybody heard about this problem before? Can anybody confirm or correct this information?

I am of course concerned since I travel with my family often and would like to confirm if this information is correct and if it is, if my veicle is or is not included in the batch of vehicles with problems.

I will really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Santiago

The VIN *is* the chassis number, its another name for the same thing. The service action you refer to covers a fairly small range of the 07 model year Puma vehicles so you have nothing to worry about. Yours is certainly way outside the affected range. If you are sure the vehicle in the accident was a Td5 then I would say that it probably wasn't the same fault, because the service action specifically says 07MY onwards which are Pumas.

The VIN number in the form LD123456 is what is known as the "short vin" where the letters LD are for Defender (from SALLD.... at the beginning of the full VIN) and the last six digits which are the serial number of the chassis. Different models (which might have the same serial numbers) are distinguished by the first two letters e.g. LD is Defender, LJ is a Discovery 1, LT is a Discovery 2, LA is a Discovery 3, LP is a Range Rover P38, LN is a Freelander etc etc. So your vehicle's short VIN would be LD187389 and IIRC the Defender VINs went up to 200000, and then started at 600000 and are still going up from that, currently in the high 700 thousands somewhere. I have no idea why there are gaps and they are not all just in sequence, must be a reason for it somewhere I guess!

Hope that helps :)

I take it this is the bent steel bracket v the cast bracket issue? I seem to recall someone posted up info and VIN range of the Puma's concerned and LR's welding 'fix'.

mmm, Must have missed it then Steve, first time around ??

Mine is within the numbers :(