Disco 300 TDI kickdown problem

NegevLandRover

This is for a M8 wha has 1998 Disco 300 TDI EDC with an automatic gear box. The LR is a gem but has recently developed a problem where it keeps kicking down from 4 to 3 gear at or around 2500 RPM even when just cruising on a straight flat road. The same happens in low ratio - at a different speed obviously but at about the same RPM.

The garage where he services the LR reckons it is the gear box "brain" - as I understand some kind of printed ciruit ?

Does this problem ring a bell for anyone here ? Any help much appreciated.

Adam

Late 300Tdi Discos had a fly by wire throttle IIRC. I guess that there must be some mechanism for the kick-down, whether that be a cable from the throttle peddle or some cleverer electronic device.

Adam, has your friend looked for the presence of a kick-down cable entering the gearbox? That would be the first clue.

Chris

The kickdown cable is in two parts, one goes from the pedal to near the top of the injection pump where it has an adjuster, it then has an arm that connects it to the other cable that goes to the gearbox this also has an adjuster. There a specific measurements in the manual (which I don't have to hand at the moment.)

I would think that the point of the gearbox kickdown would be throttle postion related rather than rpm related if the cable was miss-adjusted. If it is rpm related then it may be something has failed inside the box and Bogmonsters suggestion of speaking to Ashcrofts is probably your best bet.

Pete.

This is for a M8 wha has 1998 Disco 300 TDI EDC with an automatic gear box. The LR is a gem but has recently developed a problem where it keeps kicking down from 4 to 3 gear at or around 2500 RPM even when just cruising on a straight flat road. The same happens in low ratio - at a different speed obviously but at about the same RPM.

The garage where he services the LR reckons it is the gear box "brain" - as I understand some kind of printed ciruit ?

Does this problem ring a bell for anyone here ? Any help much appreciated.

Adam

hi, give me a call on 01582 496040 and I will talk you through it,

it will take me ages to type !

....it will take me ages to type !

Yes, but how will the rest of us learn anything?

Steve

(Selfish reason for the above comment...My kickdown is a little early on my 3.5efi. I think I can just back the cable off a little so was hoping the answer to the OP would confirm this)

hi, give me a call on 01582 496040 and I will talk you through it,

it will take me ages to type !

Fantastic, on my way out the door on a short camping trip with my wife and kids - can I call you on Saturday afternoon ? If not I will give you a call during business hours early next week.

Adam