Plumbing

bishbosh

My rear ARB is playing silly bu99ers :(

It has developed an intermittent leak. I replumbed the plastic tube and redid the diff connection with a new olive. Sitting on the drive all worked fine - compressor primed fine then shut off, diff lock operated correctly with the compressor topping itself up as necessary after a few on-offs of the diff lock.

Take a trip off road (well, Slindon actually :o ) and the damn thing starts playing up - with the compressor primed and ready to go I switch on the diff and the compressor runs incessantly :angry::angry::angry: . A bit later in the day and it all works fine, a bit later on its leaking again :angry:

It became such a problem that I actually drove all afternoon at Slindon with the rear diff locked for fear of not being able to lock it again! Made for some interesting 57 point turns I can tell you!

The leak is obviously between the compressor and the diff and as it is only intermttent I think it is the diff connection and is dependant on the axle position (Although once it was enganged, the compressor didn't kick back in at all, despite using full axle travel.)

Can anyone shed any light on this? If the olive is new, what else in the connection can cause this kind of problem?

Charles it could be the rubber O ring/rings inside, and this means a rebuild.

not difficult but time consuming.....

this shows the offending items cost about £2 each.

arb28.jpg

After re reading your post, Simons advice is what I would do before pulling it apart.

if it locks and stays locked the O rings should be ok

Although I'm inclined to agree with Mr.C, it would be worth spraying soapy water on the pipe and all the unions first to see if any is leaking (by the generation of bubbles).

If you get it to leak, try sticking the end of the axle breather into a jar of water and looking for bibbles to see if air is escaping from the mechanism inside. If so, most likely are the O rings - and they are most likely to go if you have not kept it topped up with oil.

Si

Thanks for the help chaps.

I think I'll try the soapy water first then brace myself for a strip down. :o:o

Does O ring replacement affect this dark science that is "backlash"? I don't think I'm up to messing with that :o

Nige - thanks for the ideas but only one problem - only one locker! :lol:

I suppose D44 do the o rings or does someone know the size / type so I can get them locally for pennies...?

Went out to do the soapy water thing last night.

Typically the blooming thing behaved faultlessly and locked and unlocked on command whilst resting confortably in the garage!

Even with me yanking on the airline at the diff connection there wasn't a hint of a leak.

When I ordered the O rings D44 thought they'd be the likely culprit so it looks like a strip down is necessary :(

Tony, I shall take you up on your gracious offer - I shall bring a smattering of tools, drive flange gaskets, O rings, EP90 and RTV.

I presume you get a lunch hour and there is a pub near by that I can feed you at...?

I'll try and get to you by about 9.30 - 10ish if that's OK with you..?

Sorry to jump onboard this topic but I have a similar problem. Well not the same, when I disengage the rear locker and you get the whoosh of air out the solinoid to prove it has disengaged I also get a very fine mist of oil. Any ideas? The oil level is OK so I'm assuming the O rings have failed.