An eventfull weekend.....

6cyltdi

This weekend.... hmmmm

Well last week some guy from Thornaby, South of Newcastle agreed to buy my 109" Recovery truck....

He said he would be arriving at 2am Saturday morning approx.... He appeared around 4-4.30am Oh well no sleep then, He arrived in a rover 820 with an A-frame............!!!! UH OH...... After gold knows how long he was all hitched up and ready to go so he pulled out the drive with me following in the S1.... The 109" was swinging lock to lock to lock or so it seemed as he was trying to drive down the road dragging the rover all over the place..... So this wasn't going to work... So one of the guys jumped out of the rover and sat in the 109"..

They had a little more control this time however still didn't seem able to get over 25mph.... So after the longest 6 miles of their lives we arrived in Forres..... Where they then decided there was no way they could take it home..... Left a deposit and hit the road for the long drive home....

I got in touch later that day to let them know it would be possible to deliver so we eventually agreed on a rate (which would barely cover fuel costs)

So Sunday morning Alex and me set about cutting off the old mess of a tow bar, fitting a new one and drop plate with nato hitch....... After messing around with wiring and everything else we were ready to leave about 8.30pm......

post-4890-1221647527_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1221647606_thumb.jpg

Ex-swedish military trailer 8' 6" wide and 14.5 ft long bed....!!! Interesting going down the narrow Scottish A and B roads....

Anyway we arrived in Thornaby at 8.30am Monday morning and delivered the recovery truck to its new owner... And off we set to Pontefract, Wakefield...... Arriving there at something like 10.45am to pick up my 404.... Oicked it on to the trailer had a blether stopped off for some lunch and eventually got going again.... Alot of cigarettes a few wrong turns, sandwiches and silly motorway banter with truck drivers and we arrived home at 3am Tuesday..... All in one piece no hitches..... Thank god..... Just an sore right knee.....

Your guess as to how much sleep I managed..... (maybe at the wheel lol)

post-4890-1221648219_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1221648306_thumb.jpg

Hi that was some journey I wouldn't fancy falling asleep with that load on, I had an experience with a 16' tri axle ifor williams jacknifing and rolling the disco wasn't pleasant. I was looking at buying one of those ex MOD trailers on ebay but I was put off by the weight of it. Would you recommend one or would you advise steering clear?

Sounds like a fun weekend......

But watch out for the legalities of towing a trailer that wide.

I think the widest you can tow with a LandRover sized 4x4 is 7'6" - to tow anything wider you need something plated at 3.5+Tonnes - possibly even a 7.5 tonner.

Hope it helps

No idea on the legalities..... The trailer weighs a wee bit under a ton it is plated as to what you can tow on it but as it is designed for 1 vehicle specificly it is down rated to the weight of that vehicle...... The trailer was brilliant all weekend.....

No worries at all apart from being half way across the other lane on narrower roads.... Excellent for loading and unloading as the hydraulics drop the bed flat to the floor, then pump up again with any weight on no problem....

post-4890-1221730287_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1221730360_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1221730574_thumb.jpg