siezed diff lock lever

kevinr

I've searched the forums, but can't find what I need so here goes the asking.

My diff lock lever will select high/low quite easily..for the most part, what it wont do is move over to the left to lock the diff, now I'm aware that it can seize from under use, but since i'm doing more and more greenlaning/off roading, I really need to get this working.

I've looked underneath and found the bit I need to douse in WD40, and have done so, but on the of chance, I'm going to need the use of a hammer/lever, could someone tell me where I need to be manipulating, with pics if possible?

It's a 97 3.9 V8 ES

Cheers

Hi Kev,

I am pretty sure there is a post on here somewhere because i have used or instigated it!

I also doused the linkedge that you see underneath with easol and WD40 etc etc to no avail,

I then found that the actual siezure was in the diff knob :o mech

The way to sort it is to expose the mech in question by taking away the gator's and canny remember if i had to take the centre console out <_< (think i did) but any way there is some 10mm bolts that need removing and you can take the complete mech out and put in the vice so you can service it and make sure you pile it full of some decent grease when you are done.

Also make a note / mark on the shaft where it comes off the linkage so it saves time messing about after wards making sure its back in the same place ! (guess how i know this???)

Any way that will be whats wrong with it and i,m sure somebody else will post after this that has not got a belly full of cider like me 13_4_91.gif and will make it a bit clearer for you !!

Cheers

Dougie

thanks dougie, Guess I have my day planned for Monday then, can't get any rivets till then :)..oh well, hopefully wd40 will work for me, i'm greenlaning tomorrow...think I'd better keep a recovery strap hooked on :)

It'd defo the sideways movement in the lever mechanism, the 'steel' shaft is in an 'aluminium' housing..... you can guess the rest, the aluminium corrodes slightly, the steel rusts a little, and voila, one seized lever..... be very careful if you do get it in the vice, the casing is the weak link..... break it and you're stuffed.!!!tap the shaft gently..... wd40 it first.... then pray!!

got it sorted, though it meant tracking down a used one as you can't buy new ones. I tried to free the other one up, but it would only move so far over, and not enough to engage the diff lock. No amount of wd40/petrol or anything else was going to budge it further.