Land Rover Stolen - Black Disco BU51GOP

jeremy996

Last night, sometime between 8:15pm on the 24/09/2008 and 7:15am on the 25/09/2008, some little ******* broke into the compound and workshop of CMS 4x4 at John O'Gaunt in Leicestershire.

They took a customer Land Rover Discovery, BU51GOP, black, automatic, which had been prepared for an MOT this morning, 70l of fuel, presumably for the disco, Colin Stoke's Land Rover Test Book, a Snap On M1250 Diagnostic scanner and a Snap On battery impact gun.

Could any information or if you have been offered any of the items be passed to Leicestershire Police on 0116 222 2222 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, quoting crime number NM/2891/08/9.

The test book, at least should stick out like a sore thumb! being rare and expensive in the aftermarket.

(Colin's doing the work on my 110, so I am keen for him to be sorted out as soon as possible; he was waiting for SOCO when I left. Incidently, the bent door is a £1000 security door, all three are bent to hell).

post-193-1222339712_thumb.jpg

Incidently, the bent door is a £1000 security door, all three are bent to hell).

What and the local police didnt respond to an alarm going off? that is unbeleivable - probably too busy issuing parking tickets - although I woudl imagine that took longer than 10 minutes to get through (not that I am an expert in these matters btw !)

(I cant believe youd have a 1k security door and no alarm... so my thoughts are with you - very annoying - but if the car was inside they maust have seen it go in there and knew what they wanted...)

What and the local police didnt respond to an alarm going off? that is unbeleivable - probably too busy issuing parking tickets - although I woudl imagine that took longer than 10 minutes to get through (not that I am an expert in these matters btw !)

(I cant believe youd have a 1k security door and no alarm... so my thoughts are with you - very annoying - but if the car was inside they maust have seen it go in there and knew what they wanted...)

You assume that there was an alarm fitted, you assume the alarm sounding was reported to police and you assume that there were local patrols available to attend!

You assume that there was an alarm fitted, you assume the alarm sounding was reported to police and you assume that there were local patrols available to attend!

Colin and I had this discussion a couple of hours ago. John O'Gaunt is tiny, probably less than 2 dozen houses and must be 5 miles from the nearest police station. The workshop is in part of a large farm shed, about the size of a modern factory unit. The yard is busy in daylight as Colin's father runs a farm from it, but there are not too many passing cars and it is deserted at night. The unit has security lights, a decent fence all around and until last night had not been previously targeted.

For anyone with business premises you have to draw a line somewhere. CCTV worth having, both admissible in Court and good enough to take a clear picture of a vehicle registration and a person's face with a realistic chance of recognising them is several thousand pounds. An alarm to a monitoring station will also be several thousand pounds to install and £500-1500 per annum in running costs. A monitored rural alarm with police response in the Borough of Melton is completely pointless on Friday and Saturday nights as the police will be too busy dealing with the drunks and fights in the town centre!

Colin said he would get an alarm with a silent delay so he could get around to the yard and catch people in the act. I said is that wise to confront people prepared to be violent to avoid capture - would he not be better off if the alarm made a racket and scared them off before they did any significant damage. Colin is huge, he is not called Big Col for nothing, but it is not in his best interests to confront burglars, who are potentially tooled up, on his own and in the dark.

For my money, I'd use an alarm on the gate and all the doors with an auto-dialler to my home and some more of my family, so we can go around with a shotgun after the security floodlights and the siren have been going for a few minutes. Hopefully the bad guys will have gone by the time I get there, but if they hang around, I'll have might and some witnesses on my side.

Rural policing is a joke, there are no bodies on the ground to do any more than mop up after the event, so you keep everything as anonymous as possible, with enough physical security to keep off all but the dedicated criminal. After that, it is the luck of the draw. An alarm may deter or may encourage the bad guys to leave your premises once they have set it off, but there is no such thing as total security without spending the GDP of a medium sized country.