Bottle Jack for Defender

popotla

I want to buy a bottle jack for my LR Defender. These are pretty thin on the ground where I live, especially since I won’t buy one made in China.

“Mega” brand is available (Melchor Gabilondo, Vigo, Spain) and I’d be happy with that. There is a 3-ton model (costs equiv. GBP 18) and a 15-ton (GBP 36). Am I right in thinking that the 15-ton one, with its spare capacity and better able to lift a fully-loaded vehicle, is the one to go for?

But how can I be sure it’s compact (low) enough to fit under the axle when I have a flat tyre, and extends high enough (gives enough lift)?

The standard, excellent, LR bottle jack is 2 or 3 tonne capacity.

I would say 3 tonne is more than enough. Don't forget that the jack will have a factor of safety of 5 or more....

The most important part for a jack for a LR is having enough reach. I would use that as your main criterion.

You can get LR jacks cheaply in the UK or ebay is your friend :rolleyes:

The standard, excellent, LR bottle jack is 2 or 3 tonne capacity.

I would say 3 tonne is more than enough. Don't forget that the jack will have a factor of safety of 5 or more....

The most important part for a jack for a LR is having enough reach. I would use that as your main criterion.

You can get LR jacks cheaply in the UK or ebay is your friend :rolleyes:

I agree, 2 ton capacity is enough, but most small bottle jack do not have sufficent reach to suit a LR.

That's why the standard LR jack, as supplied with the Range Rover for example, has a double extending cilinder, giving you plenty of reach even with bigger tyres (I use one for my 37").