Handbrake Options

Been thinking about the options for moving the handbrake.

Firstly I was thinking about removing the drum and fitting something like the X-Eng - X-Brake. Not only does this appear to me a better option than standard, it also offers the flexibility to try some other options.

I considered a hydraulic brake, my thoughts where to use a hydraulic lever and a single caliper. I thought this was legal (using my knowledge of SVA) as it would be a secondary system but it seems MOT specifically state it must not be hydraulic. (although it can be hydraulically assisted)

Another option was to use an EPB module from another car. Loads seem to have an electronic brake and I can see no reason one couldn't be fitted to the transmission. Like this one.

epb_plus_switch1.jpg

There may be others available. Maybe something servo or motorised that pulls the cable that I could fit inside the seatbox?

Any thoughts?

I would have said that given it's location and the use Land Rovers are put to, putting anything electrical underneath is not wise. Generally speaking the simpler you can keep it the more reliable it'll be. The X-eng disc brake is a good compromise between improving the performance of the hand brake and simplicity of operation and gets my vote :)

HTH

Mo

Relocate to where exactly? Have you heard of fiddle brakes, that could be the direction you're heading with this.

Sorry, meant I am looking to relocate the lever (or remove entirely) Ultimately I am going automatic with NAS type centre console so the Range Rover lever may not work as well as it does with a cubby box.