roll cage and roofrack combined, and wing protection

sparg

does anyone make a chassis mounted cage and roofrack combination? seems a logical idea, so what's wrong with it?

also, I did see on one forum (could be this one) someone had designed their own bars to protect the front wings - anyone know what I mean?

regards

does anyone make a chassis mounted cage and roofrack combination? seems a logical idea, so what's wrong with it?

also, I did see on one forum (could be this one) someone had designed their own bars to protect the front wings - anyone know what I mean?

regards

oh - that was for a 90, BTW

North Off Road offer a solution to the wing protection, but it's a replacement for the whole front end and mounts back to the cage at the bulkhead - not sure if that is what you are after...

Most places that make roll cages will make it with brackets for your preferred roof rack, just a case of asking and paying the appropriate amount of extra money...

HTH

Adrian

North Off Road offer a solution to the wing protection, but it's a replacement for the whole front end and mounts back to the cage at the bulkhead - not sure if that is what you are after...

Most places that make roll cages will make it with brackets for your preferred roof rack, just a case of asking and paying the appropriate amount of extra money...

HTH

Adrian

replace the whole front end! engine and all? or just...what?

No!! Just the bodywork... Like here: North Off Road Link

Their full website is http://www.northoffroad.co.uk

Other cage manufacturers include:

Whitbread

QT

Performance and Protection

Tornado Motorsport

Most of their websites are simply their name followed by .co.uk I think. Not that I've been looking lately or anything!!!

HTH some more...

Adrian

No!! Just the bodywork... Like here: North Off Road Link

Their full website is http://www.northoffroad.co.uk

Other cage manufacturers include:

Whitbread

QT

Performance and Protection

Tornado Motorsport

Most of their websites are simply their name followed by .co.uk I think. Not that I've been looking lately or anything!!!

HTH some more...

Adrian

thanks adrian - that's given me some ideas. looks like a lot of money, but intrestin'

It looks like a lot of money, but by the time you've bought all of the material and mucked a few bits up, you won't be far off if you also factor in the labour and disposable materials...

As I said, not that I've been thinking about this side of things!!

It looks like a lot of money, but by the time you've bought all of the material and mucked a few bits up, you won't be far off if you also factor in the labour and disposable materials...

As I said, not that I've been thinking about this side of things!!

yeh - I've wondered if anyone ever makes cages out of aluminium tube. seems to me that, theoretically, one could make an 'exoskeleton' for a swb 90, without a huge weight penalty...

yeh - I've wondered if anyone ever makes cages out of aluminium tube. seems to me that, theoretically, one could make an 'exoskeleton' for a swb 90, without a huge weight penalty...

Plastic tube would be lighter, or drinking straws lighter still.

Steve :P

Thats why god invented T45 and other such light round hollow stuff

Don't know what T45 is, but can see you do, from your website. Playing the wish-list game, if you were going to make "the ultimate" cage, and had to cover a hard-top road-suitable 90, what would you do? brace through the body?

Sparg, try Protection and Performance (www.ppcages.com), they will do anything you want out of any spec material. also try Tornado Motorsport (sorry dont know web site) they do alot of motorsport cages.

thanks, had a loo at ppcages, they look alright. but I notice that many cages anchor to the bodywork, so landing on them would bend the body at the anchor point, n'est-ce pas?

Also, I see that many cages prvide for roof-rack mountings, but ti seems to me that the cage can actually be the roofrack, with a teeny bit extra fabrication - that would save duplicating expenditure - ditto a ladder.

thanks, had a loo at ppcages, they look alright. but I notice that many cages anchor to the bodywork, so landing on them would bend the body at the anchor point, n'est-ce pas?

Also, I see that many cages prvide for roof-rack mountings, but ti seems to me that the cage can actually be the roofrack, with a teeny bit extra fabrication - that would save duplicating expenditure - ditto a ladder.

You'll find that most cages for Defender type vehicles run through the bodywork at the waistline - but obviously then run on down to pick up on the chassis. It would off no strength at all if it only anchored to the bodywork*.

(*note that Land Rover offered a "roofrack support hoop" or similar on the Tomb Raider limited edition and a couple of other ltd edition models - this resembled an external cage hoop around the windscreen and passenger compartment to which the roofrack was mounted - but it did in fact only anchor to the body and was not marketed as rollover protection....)

You can get fit a full external cage to a defender - The ones I've seen use modified heavy duty sills as the lower locating points. I would think that they would make fitting a little easier, but to be honest for off road use I think the vertical braces running down to the sills would hang up on the terrain more than an internal cage.

Safety Devices do crossbars for the 110 external cage to allow the rear section to be used as a kind of roofrack anyway, and I'm sure that something similar could be done on a 90.

I run a full external Protection and Performance cage on my own 110. It's a "safari" cage rather than an out and out competition cage as it has no internal cross bracing - but it is chassis mounted and does the job I need it to do. I've also got a full Brownchurch roof rack mounted to it as well - which means the weight is on the cage rather than the gutters.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Ah - 'through' not 'to' - that makes sense! - haven't managed to gather any prices yet, though. will keep on trying

Does anyone see my point that a roll cage actually IS a roofrack, in that it only needs a decent tray in the middle. The structural strength a rack normally needs is already there in the cage, so duplicating steel work makes no sense (unless you really need a detachable rack)

i think, but may be wrong, the camel trophie disco's any way had a rack mounted to the roll cage

dave

mine was suppose to say

i think, but may be wrong, that the camel trophy disco's had a rack mounted to there roll cage threw the roof tho as the cage is internal but rack external

dave

Sparg - I see exactly what you mean, but I doubt that many companies would advertise it as a standard product. As has been said above, you need to start talking to the companies about your specific requirements and guage the prices from there. There is no point comparing the prices for standard cages as yours won't be a standard one....

Several of the websites I've looked at have said that they make specials, it's just how much you want to spend and what you've already got. For example, if you've already got a rack, there's no point paying loads extra on the cage, but you might like the cage fited with some brackets to take your existing rack. That solution might cost you, say, £100 extra, whereas the complete solution you are suggesting might add £500 with all of the extra material, fabrication and labour.....

The other point of view is this: Why have all that weight on your roof (cage as roofrack) when you don't need it? Just bolt the rack on when it's needed and keep the cage as simple and lightweight as possible for the remainder of the time....

Sparg - I see exactly what you mean, but I doubt that many companies would advertise it as a standard product. As has been said above, you need to start talking to the companies about your specific requirements and guage the prices from there. There is no point comparing the prices for standard cages as yours won't be a standard one....

Several of the websites I've looked at have said that they make specials, it's just how much you want to spend and what you've already got. For example, if you've already got a rack, there's no point paying loads extra on the cage, but you might like the cage fited with some brackets to take your existing rack. That solution might cost you, say, £100 extra, whereas the complete solution you are suggesting might add £500 with all of the extra material, fabrication and labour.....

The other point of view is this: Why have all that weight on your roof (cage as roofrack) when you don't need it? Just bolt the rack on when it's needed and keep the cage as simple and lightweight as possible for the remainder of the time....

hmm - yes, but a 'rack' can be really minimal if it's simply a pan between the bars of the cage -basically, some modest struts and some checker plate or similar should do it. I think I could get it made quite cheaply. we'll see - still trying to get any answers on price - no idea of a ball park figure yet

cheers

g'night

OK. That's if you just want a flat piece of metal/board on the roof. Personally, I would prefer something with an upstand to enable proper load support...

Off the top of my head..... and based on a full external cage unless noted:

Whitbread offer fully fitted and painted for £700

QT Services (truck cab only but they may do specials) £650 plus VAT and carriage

Tornado Motorsport from £850 (not sure about VAT and fitting etc...)

Performance and Protection (PPCages) £????? give them a ring!

North Off Road £????? give them a ring!

These prices are for a basic cage mounted to the chassis. All of the websites suggest that you might like to ring to discuss your exact requirements... There are also companies (PPCages springs to mind) who will sell you pre-bent components and you can fill in the gaps with any specific elements that you want to make.

HTH

Adrian

Sparg, has anybody come back with prices yet, i am concidering the same option for my 90.

Nope! ppcages and northern - no reply - glorious British way of doing business - wouldn't swap it for the world. have to nag them when I've time