Alternator options

Hi, it seems that 5 times through the Mud Run at Abingdon has trashed my alternator. I suspect it will be full of mud and grit. There's no charge to the battery. I've checked all the connections and all seems OK. Anyway because I have spots on the roofbar and lots of electrickery going on inside I have been meaning to uprate the standard alternator anyway so a swapout is not a problem. Any advice on what power ratings are available that will fit on my 200TDi and the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get them? Scrappy or new?

Regards,

Dave.

If you have an 45A A127 style alternator you can easily upgrade to 65A. you will need to upgrade the wiring from the alternator to the starter motor though.

It's possible to go to 100A, though you are reaching the limits of a single Vee belt at that sort of size.

Typically, sand/mud problems can be solved easily, if caught in time, by removing and stripping the alternator for a clean, paying particular attention to the brushes and slip rings.

Guest diesel_jim
Hi, it seems that 5 times through the Mud Run at Abingdon has trashed my alternator. I suspect it will be full of mud and grit.

Hmmm.... maybe next time you could watch the other people go though? :lol::lol:

seriously though, any similar shaped alternator can be made to fit, go for the biggest amperage. Ford granada type ones are usually around 120amps, which is good.

When i was younger (like 18~20) i'd always do the camel trophey type puddle crossings, bonnet deep water, eventhough there was a perfectly good track next to it.

on my 200Tdi i had 13, yes, thirteen starter motors on it, and numerous alternators,bearings,UJ's etc.

after a while, i started driving with some more mechanical sympathy, and hey presto.... the troubles stopped! (well, slowed down at least)

Hi Dave

You could up grade to 100amp no problem watch the wirring though, i've had 100amp magneti-marelli on my challenge 90 for years (10) with no problem in charging with a single v belt, i also have just fitted a 150 amp bosch alternator (which i got from a local breakers and cost 35 quid )to charge the twin winch batterys only and that is on a single belt too, had no problems as yet. :)

Hi, it seems that 5 times through the Mud Run at Abingdon has trashed my alternator. I suspect it will be full of mud and grit. There's no charge to the battery. I've checked all the connections and all seems OK. Anyway because I have spots on the roofbar and lots of electrickery going on inside I have been meaning to uprate the standard alternator anyway so a swapout is not a problem. Any advice on what power ratings are available that will fit on my 200TDi and the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get them? Scrappy or new?

Regards,

Dave.

hi,if you change your alternator,befor you go off road try a spray(I will try to find ouy the name)which is like an electrical componant waterproofer.When i saw the demo ,the guy got a new 240 volt drill,standard off the shelf ,put on some spray and droped it into a bucket of water pulled it out and turned it on ....it workde fine.It was available from C.E.F City Electrical Factors.Regards and good luck ,Steve