ECU Relocation

benbenukuk

I have moved the ECU on my 3.5 Dakar and it now sits in the corner of the windscreen on the passenger side so moving to beside the speedo will be simple.

If you remove the speedo binnacle you will be able to reach your arm down inside and pull the whole efi loom up through the hole.

Steve

I have moved the ECU on my 3.5 Dakar and it now sits in the corner of the windscreen on the passenger side so moving to beside the speedo will be simple.

If you remove the speedo binnacle you will be able to reach your arm down inside and pull the whole efi loom up through the hole.

Steve

That's a good idea, I have just ordered a new speedo binnacle so when I change that I can do the ECU at the same time, cheers. Ben

Just make sure the loom doesn't chafe on any sharp bits - the underneaths of dashboards can hide all sorts of nasty little edges and things.

Never mind the wires......the edges can take nasty chunks out of your arm as well.

Steve

Thanks for the reply's will there be enouth slack to move it next to the speedo head?, I am quite impressed with the waterproofing I have done to my v8, I can chuck a bucket of water over the dizzy/leads and it doesn't miss a beat, cheers. Ben

What waterproofing mods have you done to the dizzy etc?

There is enough length in the wiring (on a 3.5 flapper EFI at least) to move the ECU into the void under the dash were my aircon evaporator used to live. I made a couple of straps to clap the ecu to the inside of the dash and screwed on the origional relay mount next the relocated ECU. That was with the rather large 4CU ECU which was a snug fit, so the ECU for a hotwire should have no trouble in fitting in the same space. It did need some subtle trimming of the dash section to route the cable, but with it all screwed back together its completely hidden.

Not the highest/dryest of locations, but it suits my requirements nicely.