Some advice needed on welding

Springertastic

HI

Just about to tackle some welding on my landrovers and my ford transit van. Im kindly getting a loan of an Arc welder its rated 140amp. Useing 2.5 and 3mm rods.

Simple question is the welder rated to high the landrover repairs are a very small section in the foot wells so be sheet steel or ally around 3mm. The rear crossmemeber has very small holes nothing major a few patches should sort it yet again in steel im gona go for 3mm thick here.

The van is the sills so be sheet steel 2-3mm and the floor croos slats not the crossmemeber so be 2-3mm sheet steel again.

Im just conserned the welder is too powerful. Any advice be appriciated.

Thanks

Hi, 140 amps is the maximum rating of the welder, not the setting you'll necessarily use. It has a volume control so you can turn it down for thinner materials. In short it isn't too powerful - in fact its closer to being not powerful enough than too powerful!

You'll need to do some practice first on whatever scrap material you can find. Better yet, get someone who can weld to help out, or to guide your practice and show you the basics - like the control knob.

Good luck, Al.

I was thinking along the same lines as Boro.

The thicknesses specified by Springerstastic are too thick, which brings problems when welding thick to thin, and in forming (bending) the repair sheets to fit the profiles of the originals.

Land Rover chassis were 14SWG (~2.05mm).

Bulkhead metal was thinner, I think 16SWG steel. I presume floor plates were the same.

14SWG ~2.05mm

16SWG ~1.6mm

18SWG ~1.2mm

20SWG ~0.92mm

22SWG ~0.72mm

I've gone down to 22swg because I believe your Transit may well be 20 or 22 gauge.

Similarly, I will add emphasis to Astro_Al's point "practice".

Start by 'sacrificing' some of your new sheet metal as practice pieces. Cut up 2" or 3" squares and join them together again. Then, if you have some old body panels to hand, try welding those squares to the old panels.

This will demonstrate better than any words on a screen the snags of welding thick to thin.

Only weld bright shiny steel, again, welding to dirty steel will demonstrate why.

My most essential accessory is an Auto-darkening head mask. Leather gloves come second, that's how important I rate the auto darkening screen.

Good Luck - Don't be disappointed if the first day turns out to be all practice, even if some of it is 'repair work' that has to be ground out again.

Hi

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I have to agree i am a bit concerned about useing the Arc myself never really used one but its all i can get a loan of round these parts.

I have used Mig and a fair bit with Gas. I am a bit worried about blowing holes in the bodywork etc. Think best bet is as adviced do trial runs maybe try fabricate something like a box thin panels onto thicker corners etc. The landrovers my main worry i dont want to damage the bulkhead the rot was tiny about 50 pence peice worth may even just rivet a plate in place but the rear crossmember does need some small strips not much again.

The van is another matter being the body outer skin its mighty thin.

Ill not rush it ill test first and if im not happy ill just ahve to find a mig or gas welder on a loan. Bit broke to rent one unfortunatly. Got lots of metal though thanks to a kind lady thats likes to get dirty under her landy hehe.

Thanks again

Good point ill update my profile.

Too many folk advicing me not to use the Arc getting lots of offers for a loan of one but these folk and yourselves odviously have a hell alot more experience than me.

The van has been patched with a plate for now im getting the metal soon so i can atleast pre-shape it for the section required the damage is due to an old accident in the central side panel skin and lower sill joins . The landrover i took the floots out and seatbox had a poke about and nothing else needing welded really quiet pleased. So ill either pre shape the new floots ready or buy the repair panels. Thanks again and if you think you can help me i make great tea or coffe and biccys and sarnys are redily available :rolleyes:

My advice,because of the type of question you are asking is to forget welding structural items on vehicles until you have had some decent guidence and practice.A welded repair is very difficult for an MOT examiner to test properly within the guidelines of VOSA.

The other comment is that anyone looking at the vehicle later on as a prospective purchase will be put off by pidgeon poo repairs and drop the offer accordingly.Local Tech colleges,(If they are still called that.) often offer very good courses with plenty of oppertunity to practice to a decent standard.Then you will get hooked on Tig welding and want an AC/DC Tig set,etc,etc.

Good luck,not trying to put you off,just to do it right.

Cheers Ally V8

Very good point and taken on board. Im not rushing it now dont want or trust myself with Arc. The Van is by far the worse of the 2 and the repair done that caused this was shocking when i kicked the repair panel off nothing welded att all just stuck on with some sort of monkey spunk. One thing i ahve learned about owning transits is you get jumped on by the feds and the VOSA hit squads alot and so far none of them ahve questioned anyhting and my recent replacment reapir panel is as strong as it can be without welding. It kinda annoys me cause i know for a fact the trade hand out MOT for little money and the buckets they sell are deathtraps.

Might actually look into a course for the longterm more for the landrover they wont get sold have spent far too much time on them.

The transit i have to try find a welder locally and bribe him with food and beer.

Good advice though cheers fella.