V8 Exhaust system

mickeyw

Just unpacked the Britpart front half exhaust system I bought for my 3.9 RRC. I am well aware of their reputation for questionable quality but still bought this anyway. Some of their stuff must be OK, surely?

This part comes in three pieces, the down pipes being separate parts from the main Y branch, I don't have a problem with that.

What concerned me when I did a quick trial assembly is that the exit pipes from left and right are two different diameters, 45mm and 50mm. The Y branch entry holes are both the same size, so I'm guessing they have sent me one wrong part. Does a 3.5 system have smaller diameter down pipe than a 3.9?

My eyes now move to the general build quality of the system, it's not over impressive. Rough edges and weld spatter are plentiful.

I'm also looking closely at the way two pipes have been merged into one. The pipe ends have been squashed into a D shape so they can feed into one larger pipe. It strikes me that this must restrict the air flow through this area. Can anyone comment on this? See picture below

post-7124-1224250681_thumb.jpg and post-7124-1224250822_thumb.jpg

Compared with original

post-7124-1224250773_thumb.jpg

I'm sure this method of manufacture is used for economic reasons, but is it good for flow? I am starting to wonder is buying a Britpart pipe was such a wise choice.

Who makes 'standard' exhausts systems of reasonable quality without costing a fortune?

I'll be on the phone shortly to explain the problem, wish me luck!

Michael

If you're not after anything fancy, do a Google for Bosal exhausts.

Loads of people sell them online and good vfm. Do heaps for Range Rovers and you can see pics before you buy to make sure you get the right one.

If I can find the people I used then will post later.

EDIT - Just seen Niges post below as I was going to add my condemnation of the off the shelf 'Stainless' systems (I have a Double S - this is the shape you end up in trying to fit one of the b@$tard things). Realistically it is make do with the Bosal type systems (which I have always found pretty good for what they are) or go for a proper Stainless as Nige has just done.

:(

Yep

All you say above is about right

I spent ages looking for a new exhaust, even one for maybe a RR that I could then make fit, and I called in to places to look at them - as you say the quality is often quite appalling :(

This is that they are made down to a price, rather than making nice collectors that allow the gasses to get used to a dropping down of bore as pipes meet, they literally sqash to fit and weld up (I say weld in the loosest senses too often :( ). And I would guess for joe public who either knows no better or frankly an exhaust is something "Underneath" they get away with it. I WILL reduce performance, and if you have the time cutting off the squashed bits buying proper collectors and rewelding is an option, but it would gall me having just paid money out . Also you'll find the quality of the bends dreadfull, with tube deformation and often they are then clamped in a jig squeezed into position and welded up, so cut the collectors and things can move

I have a Janspeed system (appalling build quality and fit - paid big £s 4 years ish ago then spent a weekend getting it to fit) and frankly theirs is better than many of the other junk charged for out there Double S aren't much better have 2 mates who are hugely hacked off with theirs, britpart - :rofl: Yeah right....

Even genuine are often nasty squashed affairs.

Not an easy solvable solution I have to say :(

Nige

Gents,

Thanks for your comments. I'll have a search on Bosal in a bit.

Nige, I read your thread a few days ago about your new exhuast, work of art. :ph34r: It's good to see there are still the skills about to create a job like that.

I was dribbling over the superb construction and weld quality. Shame it doesn't go somewhere people can see it, unless of course you spend a lot of time the wrong way up! I expect it cost more than my RRC is worth, so as nice as it is I shan't be getting one like it.

Michael

Good luck on your search Mick, I was lucky enough to have an offroading mate from newcastle who bought a RRC for spares, he then discovered it had a stainless steel sports system on it but didn't need it, so i snapped it up for a nice lil sum. Keep searching the auction sites and you might be lucky. Still took me a weekend to fit it mind you :rolleyes:;)