Wiring up lights - cable sizes?

Right then... the time has come to get the lights wired up on my project.

I was planning to use 7 core trailer cable for the rear lights, (right, left, stop, tail, fog, reverse)

What to use for the fronts though? I assume trailer cable is a bit weedy for the headlights....

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Roly

Might I ask why make life difficult doing it that way. Easier for you maybe but what about keeping to the correct wiring colour codes. In the long run it makes a job of tracing faults easier.

Trailer cable is for wiring trailers....

My point of view...

mike

Standard eh... Its a Rangie chassised, disco engined, series bodied vehicle, but with a defender bulkhead and loom.

I do like the idea of using the right colours and sizes to the front though... Maybe I should find a breaker and pinch the looms out of it.

Everyone ok with the trailer cable to the back though? I'd do it as per trailer wiring, ie yellow left, green right, red brake, brown sidelights, blue foglight, then white as my reverse and black as a back up earth aswell as the body.

I like knowing what does what too. Thats why im doing it myself. There isnt a component of this project I havnt held in my hand!

I have a bulkhead loom, but where it comes out and goes off in the wings it has been cut off. So I need to wire from here to the front.

I like knowing what does what too. Thats why im doing it myself. There isnt a component of this project I havnt held in my hand!

I have a bulkhead loom, but where it comes out and goes off in the wings it has been cut off. So I need to wire from here to the front.

If that were myself I'd start again from scratch. Yes I have done one ......In fact two looms fron scratch. All using the correct colours, cable sises and new connectors.

mike

I do like the idea of using the right colours and sizes to the front though... Maybe I should find a breaker and pinch the looms out of it.

Second hand wire? I would have to say that's a really bad idea for several reasons:

1 - It'll be variously manky, oily, sticky, bundled together, brittle, and corroded.

2 - You have no guarantee of getting the colours you want (assuming you're not planning on something heroically daft like inventing your own colour scheme from an old OEM loom)

3 - You have no guarantee of getting enough wire for any specific bit

4 - By the time you've extracted a loom, picked it apart and sorted it out you will really, really, wish you'd just bought the right stuff from VWP.

At £270 odd quid, I'd be making my own loom up.

I completely rewired my 2a when I rebuilt it, stripped the original loom, went to the scrappy and got a couple of car looms.

Second hand cable is OK provided the insulation is in good condition, yep it can be a bit gooey but a lot cheaper.

Get some proper wiring harness tape to bind your new harness up to make a tidy job of it.

The important part is make your own wiring diagram as you make the loom.