NEW TO ROVERS

mdwheal

Hello everyone. I just bought my first Land Rover. It is a 1959 Land Rover 109 SW. I love it and expect that I will have to do quite a bit of work to get it all running good. Shift lever was broke off when I bought it so I know that I have to fit a new one before getting it running. I wanted to check if the motor was froze, but when I try to start it, there is nothing. I put a brand new battery in it and tried to jump the starter, but did not get anything. I am pretty sure that it has been converted to 12v since there is an alternator, but how do I know if it was changed from -ve to +ve? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. I have wanted one of these for many years and think that I got a good value.

I bought this Landy for $3,000. I did check the frame and everything before purchasing and it is solid. I know that it has been sitting for at least a year.

Welcome :D:D

I presume that you are in the New World as you are posting in the N. American forum [you will get better answers as to resources if you tell us more about your location :) ]. If we are not able to answer your question in here you may want to move the question out to the Series or International forum although most people look at most of the forums.

To your question:

When you tried to start it did you get a steady clicking along with the starter motor trying to turn, just the clicking with no starter motor noise, or total silence?

That "clicking" is/ should be the starter solenoid which has a reputation for sticking/ dieing [shade tree "solution" is to whack it to get the solenoid moving again] and if dead puts a full stop to all starting evolutions :D:lol:

As to the "earth" of the vehicle I would say check to see whether the "+" cable from the battery goes to ground {earth} or to "stuff" like the above mentioned starter solenoid [from your description I would tend to agree that the vehicle is now negative earth]. I would recommend you invest in at least a test light if not a multi meter as Landies, like all British cars, are blessed/ cursed with Fine Lucas Electrics :lol: [bTW even the MINI has "Lucas" problems :lol::blink: ]

Further on the recommendation front would be to get the Service Manual [Green Bible] and Parts Manual [White Bible] both of which are worth their weight in Gold for owners of Series Landies

We are here to help, we may bite, prod, be sarcastic, be cynical, etc. but we will help or at least try. Welcome to the brotherhood

cheers

John

Fantastic '57 109, mines only a '62 oh, and welcome :D

If you take the plugs out can you crank it over on the handle?

Hello, thanks for the reply, I do not have the crank handle yet. I have been looking for one. I may have found one for about $20USD.

Welcome :D:D

I presume that you are in the New World as you are posting in the N. American forum [you will get better answers as to resources if you tell us more about your location :) ]. If we are not able to answer your question in here you may want to move the question out to the Series or International forum although most people look at most of the forums.

Thank you for your response and help. I have ordered the "Green Bible" and the "White Bible". I should get them in a couple of days. I am in Iowa USA.

When I tried to start the Landy, there was no sound what so ever. I do have headlights and tail lights etc. Just not a sound from the starter. I recently downloaded a file for checking your ignition path. I also downloaded the wiring diagram for the Series II. I think that I am going to completely rewire it anyways. There was no battery in the rover when I got it so I am not sure which way the ground is set up. I will look on the alternator to see if it says +ve or -ve. I want to add a couple of pictures so you all can see it, but I don't know how to. So far as I can tell, the motor is NOT froze up. I was told that it ran a little over a year ago, but then the shift lever broke and it was put in the garage and never got around to fixing it. I will try a direct jump of the starter today and see if it turns or clicks.

Thank you for your information. BTW, does anyone know where I can get the studs that hold the valve cover onto the head? I am missing two of three. I have the acorn nuts, but need new bolts for the valve cover.

Thank you for your information. BTW, does anyone know where I can get the studs that hold the valve cover onto the head? I am missing two of three. I have the acorn nuts, but need new bolts for the valve cover.

Tonk and Landi41 are pretty studley, if you ask nicely maybe they will will hold it on for you :lol::D:P

For part sources:

Rovers North

Atlantic British [not much series stuff anymore but worth keeping on the radar]

British Pacific

British Northwest

Thatched Roof Garage [i have not personnally delt with them but I have heard good things]

Rovers Down South [if he is back in business after his little rain storm :P. I have not personnally delt with them but I have heard good things]

For small light parts: Paddocks and Craddocks [uK]

e bay [uS and UK versions]

OVLR has a good tabulation of part number crossovers for "perishable" parts like gaskets, seals and filters

If you have a good "old school" hardware store near you take the existing bolt in and have it matched [remember that it has a good chance of being SAE, metric, or BS]

Keep us informed :)

cheers

John

"There was no battery in the rover when I got it so I am not sure which way the ground is set up"

It should be a negative ground. The lights would work, because your simply completing a circuit.

What concerns me now, is if the battery is actually wired the wrong way. If so, when you first tired to start the landy, did you hear anything or see anything (smoke).

A few years back, I fried an alternator, because I wasn't paying attention and wired the battery the wrong way. And come to think about it, I killed a cell in the battery, making it useless. Is the battery still good?

Todd.

Good looking station wagon - congratulations. If the truck has been sitting without running for over a year, there's a good chance that the flywheel on the starter motor will be rusted and stuck. Short fax is to use the blunt adjustment tool - a moderate hammer - and give the starter motor casing a few good whacks. This may free up the wheel and allow the starter to turn.

"There was no battery in the rover when I got it so I am not sure which way the ground is set up"

It should be a negative ground. The lights would work, because your simply completing a circuit.

What concerns me now, is if the battery is actually wired the wrong way. If so, when you first tired to start the landy, did you hear anything or see anything (smoke).

A few years back, I fried an alternator, because I wasn't paying attention and wired the battery the wrong way. And come to think about it, I killed a cell in the battery, making it useless. Is the battery still good?

Todd.

Yes the battery is still good. I did not leave it connected very long. I will try to post a picture of the engine compartment along with close ups of the two main wires leaving the battery area. Maybe then one of you could let me know if it IS +ve or -ve. As I have said, I am new to land rover all together let alone dealing with a 1959 Series that I don't know what all the other owners have done. I did get the Haynes Manual for it today. Am still waiting on the white bible though.

Good looking station wagon - congratulations. If the truck has been sitting without running for over a year, there's a good chance that the flywheel on the starter motor will be rusted and stuck. Short fax is to use the blunt adjustment tool - a moderate hammer - and give the starter motor casing a few good whacks. This may free up the wheel and allow the starter to turn.

Thanks for the info. I all ready took out the starter and rebuilt it. Works great now, but have not reinstalled it yet into the landy.

Broken shifter? How novel!

They all brake in my experience. There is an undercut of the shaft right where it enters the pivot ball. Unbolt the base from the tranny and take it and get the shaft welded back on. If you elect to buy a new one, before you install it, take it and get it welded before you use it. This is how I've found a way to live with them.

Greg S

Thanks for the info. I all ready took out the starter and rebuilt it. Works great now, but have not reinstalled it yet into the landy.

It there is an alternator fitted you can be sure that it is -ground or has already been converted.

A Total failure to engage the starter may very well be the starter switch.but don't forget to check the engine ground

I expect by now you have notice that the key doesn't engage the starter, there's a push button for this down under the dash...very modern this feature, all the expensive 2006 cars now have a starter button. :)

John