Additional gauges

Guys (and Gals), this might sound like a dim question, but bare with me....

I want to fit oil temp and oil pressure gauges to my 94 300tdi, and it was only when I got to placing the order that I realised I don't know if I use the capillary type or the electric type! Any ideas which would be best and where the senders should be located? Also want to fit a boost gauge and I know there are both types again, which is better?

Thanks peeps

Rob

Guys (and Gals), this might sound like a dim question, but bare with me....

I want to fit oil temp and oil pressure gauges to my 94 300tdi, and it was only when I got to placing the order that I realised I don't know if I use the capillary type or the electric type! Any ideas which would be best and where the senders should be located? Also want to fit a boost gauge and I know there are both types again, which is better?

Thanks peeps

Rob

i think the oil temp guage would be electric and would go in place of the sump plug. The oil pressure would be electric and you can get ones with adaptors so that you keep the sender for the low oil pressure light and add another sender for the guage. the boost guage would be mechanical and u plumb it in to the little pipe on the wast gate thingy on the turbo.

hope this helps

In my view, and others may differ, the electrical sensors are the easiest to install, and therefore cheaper. The downside of this is that there are 'lots' of cheap sensors, that have a wide spread of tolerances, and that are only vaguely matched to the gauges. Price therefore becomes your quality guide. For instance, VDO make the sensors used by that EMS kit (sold by X-Eng in the UK) and you can use the price of those as your guide to 'this is what good quality costs'.

You actually mentioned measuring 3 parameters, and although you didn't tell us, I suspect you have a particular supplier in mind. In that case it might help if we knew who that was, or alternatively it might be better if you went to them and asked which version gives the better result.

Re Sensor placement, I can't be specific as I don't know the 300TDi, however the following reflects my experience.

You may be guided by the gauge 'kit'.

Some go for the hottest part that can be accessed outside the engine, often an oil filter sandwich plate or the feed to any oil cooler. Personally I use the sump pan, on the basis that I want to know what temperature the bulk of the oil is at, and when the oil being drawn into the engine is up to temperature. Too cold being as bad, or even worse, than too hot. (In terms of time, longer will be spent at too cold than at too hot).

Obviously, the exciting part is positioning the sensor in the pan, such that it spends most of it's time under the oil, but away from the moving metal bits, and not too vulnerable to outside knocks.

Whether you want to have three gauges on the fascia, or go down to two by using at least one dual gauge, is both a style and a cost question. In seems (although I've yet to use either) that McNally or SPA will do the business in terms of quality, and I'll say that irrespective of what sensors they use. On the other hand, you could end up with well over 200 GBP sitting on your dashboard (without checking prices, that may be over 300 GBP).

Others need to contribute as well, have fun.

David. More than 300GBP...I know I have three SPA gauges fitted...

The water temperature gauge sender is a straight swap for the original Land Rover temperature sender.

With the SPA gauges you get FULL fitting instruuctions including the tap sizes required.

Expensive. Yes. Quality Superb.

Rob. Go for a dual digital gauge......

Another thing. The warning light is adjustable to suit what you want. My oil pressure warning is set a 16 PSI.. (is that correct terminology)

HTH

mike

Woody. IMO the most important gauge on the 300Tdi is the water temperature gauge. I use a full face SPA analogue one, just so I can see the needle move one degree.

The other thing I would suggest is a "coolant loss sensor"

The reason being that the water pump on the 300Tdi is very high on the engine. Any small water loss not noticed means the pump runs dry. If the pump runs dry the head has no water in it leading to head gasket failure and generally a new head.

My thoughts.

mike

Mike,

That does make sense (water loss sensor...). My previous Landy (300tdi 90 CSW) blew a hole through a core plug, something I didn't notice until almost all the water had pee'd out on a long journey. Only then did the temp gauge go rocketing. I appreciate the valued advice.

Rob