300 tdi won't stop

I have a problem with my engine. Occasionally it just doesn't stop running when I turn the key. I even can cut of the power completely at the battery and I keeps running.

Yes, the fuel cut off solenoid was my idea as well, but I replaced it with a new one yesterday and did the same a month ago (did it twice as I thought I probably was unluky with the first replacement). It happens approx one of ten times I wont to switch it off. It just needs a push on the accelerator to rev the engine faster and it cuts off then.

Also it's not burning oil as it's running smoothly at idle speed and no smoke at all.

Any ideas?

Have you tried stopping it by actually pulling the wire from the solenoid?

The alternator will provide 12v to keep the solenoid open, without a battery connected. this is not good for the alternator!!

As you've said it's not running away and consuming its own oil, i would suspect the ignition switch, or a wiring fault.

I have a problem with my engine. Occasionally it just doesn't stop running when I turn the key. I even can cut of the power completely at the battery and I keeps running.

Yes, the fuel cut off solenoid was my idea as well, but I replaced it with a new one yesterday and did the same a month ago (did it twice as I thought I probably was unluky with the first replacement). It happens approx one of ten times I wont to switch it off. It just needs a push on the accelerator to rev the engine faster and it cuts off then.

Also it's not burning oil as it's running smoothly at idle speed and no smoke at all.

Any ideas?

i know it sounds daft but we have several jcbs and if the heater fan is running and you turn the engine off it will continue to run for a few seconds oviously the fan motor supplies enough power to keep the stop solenoid open just a thought chris

my 90 used to do this occasionally, i found putting it in reverse was enough to make it cut out - the reverse light bulb was enough of a power drain... if you cant get to the bottom of it you could put a switch in the cab that cuts power to the stop solenoid... if you hide it it makes a cheap extra security device too.... did you use a genuine stop solenoid? i used a cheap one in mine first and it didnt have exactly the same length plunger...

Did you have the brakes on? No, seriously, we had a TD5 Defender where the engine would not stop if the pedal was pushed. It was a quick fix, for we've seen problems like this (well not exactly like this) before. People stuff single-filament bulbs into the stop/tail light holder and it causes all sorts of funny symptoms as the brakes send current where it shouldn't go. Normally the sidelights come on.

Many thanks for the advice.

I will check if removing the wire off the solenoid will cut off the engine.

I think the result will the dictate the remaining options to look for.

Regards

Lars

I seem to remember this as a common problem on the 300tdi.

As turbocharger said .. A shard of metal comes off the stop solenoid and intermittantly lodges itself in an inappropriate place.

It can cause the problem you describe and also can cause the car to just cut out when you least require it.

A magnet on a stick (think draper make one) may get it out.