salisbury diff

Hamish Grundy

You need a casing spreader to get a Salisbury diff out, and depending on what ratio you are changing from and to then you might also need a new diff center.
i took mine out yesterday to punch out broken shaft i didnt use a spreader just light preasure with a pry bar ,on refitting i used the journal bolts to pull it back in. i fitted a detroit locker a year ago using the same method to shim the backlash i think the old engineers [im 60] tend to complicate things go for it. the only problem is to alter the backn lash you have the pull the bearings off which is another story and learning curve.

Them as manage with just a small bar have hardly any preload on the diff bearings.

My Salisbury front had had free wheel hubs all its life but the bearings had pitted due to water ingress, the diff would not move at all with a 24" bar so i had to make myself a casing spreader to get it out and back together with new bearings.

hi all, as above realy, need to change the diff ratios but no idea how the diff comes out. its got a detroit true track locker fitted if that makes any difference. pics would be helpfull.

cheers

hamish

Hello

This is my first reply on this great forum. I have recently fitted a Detroit in my Salisbury. i Made my own special tool Easy !

Here´s a picture.

post-12595-1226600630_thumb.jpg

Mads Denmark