Thud noise

bushwhacker

I have just done a timing belt replacement after the old one snapped.

In a Disco 200tdi, she started first turn of the key and is not smokey but there is this thud thud noise coming from the right hand side as you look in and seems to be echong into the air filter?

Can an intercooler become air locked or am I way of track?

Any thoughts anyone

Regards :(

erm...I guess if one or more valves was not opening fully you could hear an odd induction noise.

I was going to say are you sure that the belt is tensioner properly and what you are hearing isn't it flapping against in the inside of the timing cover.

Thank,s

I did put all new pishrods in when the new belt was fitted. And made sure they were seated ok. Only thing I did notice when setting the gaps I had to drop the valves by turning the cam pulley? not the crank pulley?Is this normal?

The pulleys were set at their mark,s and locked then the belt put on with no slack until the adjuster.

She started ok would this not suggest the belt was ok? A mate had a listen and he reckons it is a bent valve? So I took of the rocker arm only to find one bent pushrod. I have went on in and took the head of but I need the wee do hicky to release the valves. More work to-morrow.

Regards

1st with no cambelt fitted, yes you would have to turn the cam sprocket to adjust the valve gaps.

Secondly I would guess that you have a stuck (closed) valve which has caused the bent pushrod. although I am supprised that this did not show up when setting the valve gaps.

Pete.

I am just getting back in to tinkering. I know there is a tool to release the valves but can it be done without it? Keen to find the problem. I was quite surprised when I lifted the head off and seen the 4 pistons with the dished out section. What is it for?

If I don,t ask I will never know, just tring to make Land Rovering a bit cheaper. :P

Thank,s that makes sense.

Any thoughts on how I could have bent 1 of the new pushrods. I havn,t managed to release the valves to check them. Should I replace all 8 or just the damaged ones? I will post my findings.

Is it always advisable to put a new head gasket on any time the head is off? The head gasket has 3 holes so it is standard yes or no. And it appears in good nic.

Thank,s to all who have replied.

Fantastic forum. I can honestly say it is the only one I would use for advise. :P

It must be old age setting in, I seem to need to be reasured more these days.

I used to be so indecisive but to be honest I am not sure any more either. :P

I suppose the bent valve could have occured when the timing belt snapped in the first place, and me trying to get away with not taking the head off first time. :( It did open all the valves (at least that,s my story) when I was setting the tappets as you can just see it about to close before the pulley needs to around the horn on another revolution.

Lesson learnt!!!!! :unsure:

Not that I didn,t beleive.

When I took the rocker shaft off I found a bent push rod in one of the 8 new replacements. So I took the head off any how. Had a look at the valves which all slid out with a light press of the finger so no bent or sticking valves. Head and block look good for an engine with 211,000 on it.

How I bent one of the new push rods I have know idea but I will make sure to check all on re-assembley.

Big thanks for all the help guys.

I,ll be back I am sure.

The 110 d na is playing up.

I have an engine change to do in the Lightweight. VM to VM.

The Range Rover is running and driving (on private ground), after lying for about 18 months, good ol gal :lol:

For anyone who interested I have managed to get the Disco going again. And running quite sweet, I even managed to drive it out of the garage. I now need to road test it.

I must have had 1 push rod not located properly the first time. It is a job I feel I could do again although I have to say would have been a lot easier to change the belt when it was not snapped. :ph34r:

Thank's for all the advise and help guys. :P