SLOW CHANGING AUTO BOX ..

uksniper1

Hi im new to site,,i have a 1990 range rover 3.9 efi auto 4 speed...and the problem is...when you pull away its very reluctent to shift up,if you lift off for a sec it will change up.it almost like it stuck in kik down...could this be a transmission fluid problem?..thnanks for any input,,cheers...wayne.... ;)

Have a look on Ashcroft Transmissions website, there's a common faults section, and what you describe is common.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll like the diagnosis.

For the record I've no connection with Ashcrofts, just been a satisfied customer in the past. They are known by reputation as the best in the business with Land Rover transmissions.

It may be as simple as a badly adjusted kickdown cable. At worst it is sticking valves and rebuild time... :(

As already mentioned, look no further than Ashcrofts for advice and cure. The only port of call for LR transmissions.

I agree with Bishbosh - first check is the kickdown cable adjustment as this definitely affects gearchange.

If if is adjusted too tight it will delay gearchange and hold onto first gear, too loose and it will make changes very lazy (but smooth)

Thereafter I think there are adjustments to the brake bands - on some gearboxes there are adjusters sticking out the side of the box but I'm not familiar with LR auto boxes.

I agree with Bishbosh - first check is the kickdown cable adjustment as this definitely affects gearchange.

If if is adjusted too tight it will delay gearchange and hold onto first gear, too loose and it will make changes very lazy (but smooth)

Thereafter I think there are adjustments to the brake bands - on some gearboxes there are adjusters sticking out the side of the box but I'm not familiar with LR auto boxes.

ok cheers for that steve...looks like it could be more serious than i thought.... :(

The old Torqueflyte 3-speed box did have user adjustable brake bands. The 4-speed ZF does not.

As said, the Ashcroft site http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk shows many common problems.

Whilst they also are undecided as to whether its a good idea, the first action with many autobox problems - after checking the fluid level is correct - is to change the fluid and filter. Blocked/partially blocked filter causes many problems. And if its playing up anyway you have little to lose.

The old Torqueflyte 3-speed box did have user adjustable brake bands. The 4-speed ZF does not.

As said, the Ashcroft site http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk shows many common problems.

Whilst they also are undecided as to whether its a good idea, the first action with many autobox problems - after checking the fluid level is correct - is to change the fluid and filter. Blocked/partially blocked filter causes many problems. And if its playing up anyway you have little to lose.

ok tyvm m8,,ill defo check lvls an even maybe change oil an filter later today an see wot happens,,,thnx again,, ;)

A word of caution - Ashcrofts say that changing the fluid can cause more harm than good on high mileage boxes as the new fluid is a better detergent and flushes all the crud from the case into the valves and blocks them. This happened to me and I was lucky that it eventually cured itself - this is not normally the outcome. They valves usually stay blocked.

If the fluid is still red then I would advise not changing it.

• 2 weeks later...
hi m8,,,its got 140.967 on the clock m8,,but shes in sound nick an had a fair bit a work done to her,,, ;)

They have all had a fair bit of work done to them otherwise they would all be in the scrapheap by now :o

I've just put a box in with 140k, done an oil & filter change, gaskets etc & its fine, I just wondered if yours had mega mega mileage on.

BTW I only changed the fluid because the box had none in it. I think what bishbosh is saying could be true. I know that on some high mileage engines using flushing oil can clean all the carp out & dislodge all the crud causing all sorts of problems. It happened to me about 15 years ago on an old vauxhall engine, I flushed it thinking it would help & when I filled it with new oil & ran it the engine sounded like a bag of bolts then a few miles later it went bang!

They have all had a fair bit of work done to them otherwise they would all be in the scrapheap by now :o

I've just put a box in with 140k, done an oil & filter change, gaskets etc & its fine, I just wondered if yours had mega mega mileage on.

yeah thats true lol....i wanna get her running just right before i splash out on the new wheels n tyres,just in case i have to dip into the funds for a new box if its shot,,,any how thanks for the reply mate,,all the best... ;)

Well now I'm having problems with mine, just lost all the gears!

Anyone got any ideas what would cause this?

dam sorry to hear that mate...hope you get her sorted soon,,,,nowt to do wiv the 37s overstressing summat is it?..just a thought as if it is ill be next when i chuck mine on next month... :(

dam sorry to hear that mate...hope you get her sorted soon,,,,nowt to do wiv the 37s overstressing summat is it?..just a thought as if it is ill be next when i chuck mine on next month... :(

No nothing to do with the 37s, I've only done 40 miles or so before it went wrong.

No nothing to do with the 37s, I've only done 40 miles or so before it went wrong.

ok.. ;) .well if it helps ..mine had a leaky pipe going to box,,was very hard to see as all the mud n stuff,,she still a bit slow in the gears but better than was. ;)