3.5 EFi alternator problems

Orange

Having diagnosed that the alternator isn't actually working, we've managed to get hold of a replacement from a local scrapyard, however, the existing bracketry that holds it all on is different to the mounts on the replacement alternator. :angry:

The replacement one appears to be set up to be mounted on the drivers side of the engine, whereas the one on there currently is on the passenger side???? :unsure:

Can anyone post a couple of pictures of the front end of their 3.5 EFi (preferably focussing on the alternator mountings before anyone sends a pic of their grille and bumper :P ) so that we can compare the 2 set-ups!! We are aware that the alternator that is on the truck at the moment is not a RR one, so there may have been some jiggery-pokery under the bonnet by a bloke with a stetson, a horse and a lassoo!!! YeeeeeeeHA!!!

I'll try and post a picture of ours at some stage, but will have to borrow a digital camera to do it!!

1987, E reg by the way, in case it makes a difference!!

This may seem blatantly obvious, but can the front section of the alternator be unbolted and rotated 120degrees??

Something I've done on several occasions.

Remove the pulley and fan, undo the 3x8mm nuts and draw out the 3 bolts thru the housings.

Tap the side of the ally housing gently whilst lifting upwards and refit so the other front mounting hole now lines up with the rear mounting hole....

Simple as :blink::D

This may seem blatantly obvious, but can the front section of the alternator be unbolted and rotated 120degrees??

We did take the back end of it apart and have a go but there are electrical connections that won't line up/reach!! As for the front end of it - the pulley just wasn't having any of it!! I'll have another go next weekend with a bit of heat, but the main problem seems to be where it is mounted. If we were to mount it the same as Nige (Hybrid From Hell) then we wouldn't need to change it!?!?!?

Stoopid question, but is there any problem with mounting it on the opposite side? More to the point, is there any difference between the mounting positions on the 3.5 EFi and the later 3.9?? As I now believe the replacement one that we've found is off of a later 3.9!!!

I think I've found a source for the correct (as per Nige's photo) brackets so that we can put it back correctly?!?!?!

We did take the back end of it apart and have a go but there are electrical connections that won't line up/reach!! As for the front end of it - the pulley just wasn't having any of it!! I'll have another go next weekend with a bit of heat, but the main problem seems to be where it is mounted. If we were to mount it the same as Nige (Hybrid From Hell) then we wouldn't need to change it!?!?!?

Stoopid question, but is there any problem with mounting it on the opposite side? More to the point, is there any difference between the mounting positions on the 3.5 EFi and the later 3.9?? As I now believe the replacement one that we've found is off of a later 3.9!!!

I think I've found a source for the correct (as per Nige's photo) brackets so that we can put it back correctly?!?!?!

I think the mounts on the 3.9 and later 3.5 are the same? Alternator mountings on the 3.5 disco engine that's just replaced the 3.9 in my range rover were, I think, exactly the same.