Very Sick Disco 300TDi

filthy

My Disco 300TDi - N reg, had a pretty bad life before I owned it.

Lady owner who loved it, but had no money or any mechanical sympathy what so ever.

2 months b4 I got it, she did her 1st off roading ever & put it down a 16ft embankment (vertically) & straight into a 2m cubed concrete tank stopper, with a railway sleeper cast into it.

On hitting this, the front diff was bent, steering gear trashed, rad/oil cooler/intercooler + pwr steering pump, cam cover, both wings, bonnet, cross member, grille etc destroyed.

Bless her - - - - - she then drove it another 3/4 mile back to the start line where it siezed up solid & was dry of all liquids

It was badly repaired, had a rotten engine rebuild & body job etc.

I bought it, it drove OK ish & in the rain looked good - how wrong I was.

Since then I've been in it repairing or under it most weekends, spent so much time on it, I can't afford to get rid of it.

I've done just about every job on this vehicle that could possibly go wrong under a landrover, even re-tapped / helicoiled EVERY bolt fixing on the cylinder head, even the 8mm crank breather bolt needed doing. Turned out the repair shop had a college trainee do the work . . . . . mmmmmmmm

He must have had one adjustable spanner & a 3lb lump hammer.

After countless engine repairs, a head gasket job, turbo change, rad, intercooler, replaced crunched cam cover, pipes blar blar blar it now goes like the clappers.

I decided to put a 2" lift kit on it - in addition to the problems with the Terra-Firma kit of junk (another topic listed)

I, now descovered that the transfer box was so badly walloped in the crunch above, that the Gear box has a cracked side & the transfer box is not aligned properly on the gear box AND the front output bearing surround has a thin stress crack in the Ally. . . .

Both cracks are above the oil fill level, or I may have spotted it.

She must have hit the tank stopper VERY hard . . . .

So, however hard you look, it is still possible to buy a duff motor - as I did.

problem is that now, I need to get another complete Disco 300TDi for spare parts, so if any one has one or knows of one, I'd be most gratefull. Even if it is just/not road legal, I could break one or other vehicles to build a good one.

Cheers

Filthy

If it has been hit so hard that the transfer box and gearbox casings are damaged, i'd say theres a fair chance the chassis might be out of alignment, and the vehicle should have been written off...

I'd be temped to buy an MOT failed disco with a straight Chassis and use that as the base for a build-up.. I'd not be happy driving around in what you've got at the moment..

i am about to put my ES 300 TDI up on ebay 130k miles mot til aug 2009. will start it at 800 squids

PM me if you are interested live near sherborne dorset so not far from you.

paul

Hi Paul,

very interested.

Please mail me if you can & I'll pop over, only 30 miles away from Me.

Regards

Grant / Filthy