90 2.5 turbo engine in a s11a swb.

kingdong2

Hi guys

i am asking this for a friend he has been offered a 2.5 turbo engine from a 90 what he needs to now is what probs does he need to look out for / what is the average mpg / and what is the mph like.

graham.

Hi Graham

they tend to breath quite heavy so i'd look at the state of the air filter ect. No idea on MPG. I havn't driven one for along time but as i recall they go quite well compared to a NAD. In my own personal opinion i would go for a 200 TDI as it's better in every way.

Bill

Hi Graham

they tend to breath quite heavy so i'd look at the state of the air filter ect. No idea on MPG. I havn't driven one for along time but as i recall they go quite well compared to a NAD. In my own personal opinion i would go for a 200 TDI as it's better in every way.

Bill

Hi,

You could try bolting a td turbo onto a 200tdi engine! Its been done before.

That is if you are worried about exhaust fitting problems.

Cheers.

I think I just answered your post on the other forum, if you use the FI moniker.

The engines pull a SII/SIII fantastically well, and will not risk the transmission while doing it. The mpg will be about the same as with the NAD.

Its problems are the propensity with which it cracks pistons and heads. turner Engineering insist the engine is OK, as long as it's religiously maintained, especially the coolant, oil and fuel systems, including regular injector cleaning and callibration.

I've got a 2.5TD fitted in my S3 was very good loads of power for the old girl haven't got a mpg should be 20-25mpg.

I have a 2,5 TD in a 90", consumption is approx. 10 km/liter or ~23 mpg.

In the 90", on-road the engine has adequate power but nothing to spare. In city traffic it accelerates well enough to keep up with traffic without you having to flog the engine, but at higher speeds it lacks acceleration to match todays traffic.

Off road and for towing the engine has more than enough power.

The "power band" is between 1500 and 2500 rpm. Below 1500 rpm it behaves just like a 2,5 N/A.

I think I just answered your post on the other forum, if you use the FI moniker.

The engines pull a SII/SIII fantastically well, and will not risk the transmission while doing it. The mpg will be about the same as with the NAD.

Its problems are the propensity with which it cracks pistons and heads. turner Engineering insist the engine is OK, as long as it's religiously maintained, especially the coolant, oil and fuel systems, including regular injector cleaning and callibration.

Well i think that statment from Turners says it all. Read between the lines and it says the engine is unreliable. Thing is the 200 TDI is now quite easy to find and i know it's alot more work to fit, but once it's in and sorted it will run for ever and start first time every time with minimal maintinance. Just my opinion but I really belive it,s worth the effort/money to fit a TDI. Also I reckon the TDI will iprove resale value.

Bill

thanks guys for all the replies we have both read them and he has decided to go for a 200di engine to make it simple.

graham.

Go for the 200tdi i put one in my series 3 best thing i ever did :rolleyes: Exhaust is easy make a flange and come out the side between bulkhead and bracket, fits to gearbox just need to re drill bell houseing at the bottom (some people dont bother) :P

Hi guys

how does a 200di ( not tdi ) compair with a 2.25 petrol setting off at junctions ( and i don't mean racing ) depending on traffic you need to set off in 1st gear but normally you can set off in 2nd gear is that the case with a 200di or are they better or worse ?

graham.