LT230 - shaft problem

Rizla 1

I just bought a conversion to put my th400 autobox to a lt230 transfer case - but have come across a problem with the shaft sizes ? it just don't fit - might with a big hammer !

I took the shaft down the local landy shop and tryed it in 6-7 secondhand boxs with no fit - so we tryed a new one that was on the shelf and it was a perfect fit ?

I always thought that they are all interchangeable but it seems they might not be !!

Can anybody shed some light on this - are the newer ones different ?

Maybe that nice mister Ashcroft will pop up with an answer - :)

Before sending the shaft back, I would check the fit on the TH400 output shaft and run a vernier/micrometer over the splines to the LT230. Although not your problem to fix, it would give you a good indication where the problem lay - shaft diameter oversize / splines not cut deep enough / spline width incorrect.

where did you get your conversion?

just out of interest what engine are you running? and is the length of the gearbox and lt230 comparable to any other LR box?

The conversion is a copy of Marks adapters from OZ - there's a guy in Sheffied called Brian ( American parts ) who has had a batch made real nice quality but seems not quite got the shafts right yet.

But he is willing to sort it no problem :) pm me if you want a number - or he sell them on e-bay

It's on a chevy and its a good bit longer than a landy box - i'll put a tape on it for you in morning

----------------------------------------

and Dave11a there's only a problem with the 230 shaft end the 400 end is perfect - just a tad to big

post-4167-1227889731_thumb.jpg

post-4167-1227889774_thumb.jpg