Footwell body mounts

ThreeSheds

Hi,

After welding my way all around the RRC I recently got to the bit I was dreading - the body-mount that fits in the join between the inner-wing and the footwell which was almost completely rotted away. As suspected I had to cut away loads to remove it and am now faced with rebuilding the mount and surrounding area. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge this mounting is not available as a repair piece and so I am going to use a YRM Metal Solutions Discover rear mounting point and modify it. Or have I missed a trick?

It has occurred to me though, that it might be worth suggesting to YRM that they expand their range to include a repair for this area and so I was wondering how much of a market there would be for it? Is it just my RRC (oh and my Disco too) that have rotten brackets here or is the problem widespread?

Roger

(No connection with YRM other than as a customer)

since the old manufacturer of disco/rrc panels went west earlier this year, it would probably be beneficial for them to expand their range, maybe even approach some of the LR parts suppliers with a supply offer.

will have to get underneath and check mine now - paranoia setting in......

Your not alone, my n/s one was gone on my L plate last year. My mate started to do the inner wing & it progressed into a big old job having to replace the body mount etc. I've been keeping an eye on the o/s one & it looks ok but my o/s inner wing is shot to pieces so when that gets done the mount will get treated & hopefully last a while.

That should be the last bit of welding it will need for a while as I've been attacking every bit of rot over the last 18 months with boot floor the only thing that hasn't been treated or replaced.

That should be the last bit of welding it will need for a while ...

:hysterical::hysterical:

Sorry - I shouldn't laugh :blush:

I think that in my case, welding my RRC is going to be a bit like painting the Forth Bridge in that when I finish what I am doing now I just start going round again :)

It's not that there is anything wrong with the quality of the welding (well - maybe some of it's a bit suspect ;) ) or the material used in patching - it's the original material that worries me - I have never seen metal with such a propensity to oxidisation in my life* and it it now three years since I welded the original patch that started me on this odyssey so I fully expect the material surrounding that to be on it's way by now.

As for the repair, fabrication from thick box section (as mentioned above) was my first thought, but I don't have any suitable steel and I don't have any transport (other than public which doesn't count** ) with which to get any, and I broke the centre-bit on my holes saw :( - so in the end I decided to buy the bracket.

TTFN

Roger

* Actually that's a lie - Many years ago I worked on environmental testing to NATO standards, and we had a chamber which could do vibration/temperature/humidity cycling with added salt-water spray. In a couple of months that chamber could reduce brand new equipment to something that looks like it's just been fetched up from the Titanic! Obviously Land Rover never invested in such testing facilities :lol:

** Last night I went into Leeds on the bus to meet up with some mates - one hour and ten minutes for a seven mile journey :( . And they want to encourage us to use PT?