2.5 na diesel

i bought a "new head" off the well known auction site for 99p-couldnt resist. and its in pretty good knick. i know i need to change head gasket, so;

1. is it worth putting the other head on

2. if so, what can i do to prepare new head-is there a minimum/maximum. i know you can send injectors off, etc, but what can i do myself. ive got the weekend, and i fancy a challenge

i trawled around, and i found the 2.5 diesel gasket change, and whilst this will be usful for removal/fitiing, its the prep work, etc i am wondering about

i bought a "new head" off the well known auction site for 99p-couldnt resist. and its in pretty good knick. i know i need to change head gasket, so;

1. is it worth putting the other head on

2. if so, what can i do to prepare new head-is there a minimum/maximum. i know you can send injectors off, etc, but what can i do myself. ive got the weekend, and i fancy a challenge

i trawled around, and i found the 2.5 diesel gasket change, and whilst this will be usful for removal/fitiing, its the prep work, etc i am wondering about

get head pressure tested 40 quid i payed then u o its 100 percent

ok. but if i wanted to try and do some stuff myself-might be fun to do it once :blink:

lol. its all in pieces anyway, so i need to clean it and rebuild it to get it tested-so i may aswell do whatever i can do work wise whilst im doing it. i trawled the internet for cleanin injectors, cylinder head etc, but to no avail.

any advice is gratefully accepted. and "put a 200 tdi isnt an option" the head cost me 99p, so im damn well going to get it good-even if i sell it on!

friend bought new injectors for his td not long ago from dingocroft dunno how much they where but i can find out

most bits are available, but i wood say save up for a 200tdi i ve done alot of work on my nad and it running really well but now some6 months later its starting to get a bit smokey again :rolleyes: still pulls really well and i dont notice my sankey full loaded on the back. but i ve opted for a 200tdi to drop in when i can find a worshop to do it in :( .

whats the rest of your engine like

the lucas pumps tend to leak through top spindle, and under neath after some time (i changed mine after my fuel consumption went to 8 mpg) :o and changed water pump and timing belt at same time

not sure bout rest-plan was to get the engine out and have a look at block, pistons etc when the old head comes off-as i said-got to change head gasket. have thought bout 200tdi, but just aint viable atm. maybe in a year or so. bu at the moment, i just need to get her running as a works vehicle; currently im turning up to some jobs in my gf's toyota aygo. cant put logs and saw in that! i got the seats dirty..once :(

im pretty sure everything else is ok-it was running okish when i sorned her-i'l prob change piston rings and see if its scored at all. but thought id do the head as ive got it sitting around.

anyone know anyone who does injectors in surrey?

im pretty sure everything else is ok-it was running okish when i sorned her

Sorry if I have missed something. Is there any reason to want to dismantle an engine which sounds to have been running prior to SORN? I'd get everything fired up and have a drive before looking for possible problems.

basically my landy has been out of action for a few months, as the gear box had it and i couldnt afford a new 1, so i sorned her.

now in a position to do something about it, so have to rebuild the engine, so i can move it to a mates to do the work.

1. the head gasket had a hole so needs changing

2. i bought a "new" unused head of ebay for 99p, and i figured if i have to change the gasket, i may aswell swap my head for this one

3 i need to clean the head/see if its worth doing!if not i'll just clean it and sell it, for the experince of doing it if nothing else.

so im not crazy-im not taking a head off for the fun of it!

Ah, I hadn't picked up on the failed head gasket on the current motor. Thanks.

Failed gasket on a 2.5NAD doesn't mean the existing head is u/s. The cast iron heads are a lot more robust than the ally ones on the Tdi's, and don't seem to warp as readily. If it is just the gasket that has failed then you may be better sticking with the old head as you know more of its history.

Clean up both heads and do a visual check for cracks, damaged valves & seats, loose fitting 'hot plugs', knackered core plugs, damaged threads, wear on valve stems & guides, etc. Check that the face of the head is true (using a good straight edge - see workshop manual for details). Decide which one to use. Refurbish chosen head.

As a minimum, I'd certainly lap all the valves to make sure they seat properly, fit new valve stem oil seals and fit new core plugs. My local engine place charges £25 to pressure test a head, but I've tended not to bother on 2.25 and 2.5NAD's. Fingers crossed, i've not had a problem so far.