tyron saftey bands

Gaijin

Does anyone have an opinion about tyron saftey bands on a 90? I like the idea but don't like the cost (2000+AED or over 300 gbp) plus I only know one person who runs them. Before tyron it seemed like every trip he'd be off rim at least once, but after the install he has yet to loose a tire. Off road performance is important plus, but in my case what I'm really worried about his preventing a catastrophic blow out on the highway.

Anyone have any ideas? Also any estimates on price in Europe. Moving to CH next month, and though I doubt that Switzerland is cheaper than Dubai, if the price is better there I'll wait.

Thanks,

Jason

I know the blokes at work who repair punctures absolutely bluddy hate them!!

If you get a puncture you get a puncture, I can't see how the Tyron bands were stopping that? all they do is prevent the bead dropping into the wheel well which is what stops the bead coming off the rim, it still won't last very long if you drive on it...

Tyron dont do a 16" version, their tooling is set up for 20" military sizes and having spoken to mr Tyron its cost prohibitive for them to tool up for what they consider a small market, they did say they may be doing something in the future but they've said that in the past :(

Tyron dont do a 16" version, their tooling is set up for 20" military sizes and having spoken to mr Tyron its cost prohibitive for them to tool up for what they consider a small market, they did say they may be doing something in the future but they've said that in the past :(

Land Rover do 16" ones but maybe they are not Tyron then, I think the set I am thinking of was on a vehicle that had originally been owned by Land Rover so I assume SV fitted them.

Thanks for all the answers. Nice to hear from actual people instead of the shills down at the tyre shop.

Moving to Lausanne. A bit ignorant of CH right now. Where is Chiasso?

Will miss the desert and the ability to drive almost anywhere you want. Regardless am bringing the 90. Anywhere to drive close to Lausanne. A LR or 4x4 club that organizes bimbles. Absoulte novice when it comes to driving on most things besides sand.

On the tyron: was looking at the owner info/gtr website and saw they had instructions for installing tyron bands. Apparently they are an official LR accessory now. Bad customer service I'm used too. Here in the Middle East it is appalling. Could go on for hours but thats annother thread. So for my purpose, giving me a little extra margin of saftey if I have a blowout on the motorway, do you think it will work. Anyone have them and pleased?

Thanks

Moving to Lausanne. A bit ignorant of CH right now. Where is Chiasso?

On the Italian border.

I have no idea of travel time between here and Losanna but should you want to meet for some wheeling I'll be happy to travel a bit,or you can drive to Italy and I'll lead you to some nice trails.

I know the blokes at work who repair punctures absolutely bluddy hate them!!

I was sent a CD by the Tyron people here which even showed the special tools you need to get the things off if you have to change a tyre. They are definitely not for bush use as tyre removal is very difficult. I enquired about them on the ZA-LRO forum a while back and was told that the things are a menace as the average tyre fitter here has no idea how to get them off or on. One guy said it had taken them 2 hours to fix a puncture :(

They have always been available in 16". I see there is a new firm trying to sell similar bands here now. They won't have much success with the overlanders. If you want to investigate them, they posted on the www.landyonline.co.za forum.